free website stats program K&P reusable oil filter | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

K&P reusable oil filter

the point of the discussion of microns isn't how small a removed particle is but the back pressure in the system that gives the under-piston jets their quality of spray, without the pressure they plug and don't function correctly.

The sprayers have a ball check valve on them to shut off the spray if the oil pressure drops below 12 psi. This would basically be at idle when the oil is good and hot. Here is what my book says (3-10, Bottom End):

"The piston jets (N29), which receive a supply of oil from the intake lifter bores, spray the underside of the piston for cooling of the piston crown and skirt area. A check valve in each jet opens only when the oil pressure reaches 12-15 psi, at which point the engine is operating above the idle speed. At idle speeds (9-12 psi), the valve remains closed to prevent over oiling and to ensure proper system operating pressure."

TQ

The sprayers have a ball check valve on them to shut off the spray if the oil pressure drops below 12 psi. This would basically be at idle when the oil is good and hot. Here is what my book says (3-10, Bottom End):

"The piston jets (N29), which receive a supply of oil from the intake lifter bores, spray the underside of the piston for cooling of the piston crown and skirt area. A check valve in each jet opens only when the oil pressure reaches 12-15 psi, at which point the engine is operating above the idle speed. At idle speeds (9-12 psi), the valve remains closed to prevent over oiling and to ensure proper system operating pressure."

TQ

so does the microns rating help develope the proper oil pressure? it doesn't seem that oil pressure is affected much by micron size or is it?

so does the microns rating help develope the proper oil pressure? it doesn't seem that oil pressure is affected much by micron size or is it?

The concern about removing smaller particles from the oil is driven by some of the functions the oil performs on the TC that are unique to it. The orifices on the piston sprayer are an example since they are small orifices and must be kept clean.

TQ

was reading this on k&p website and if this is true even a stock oem filter isnt good enough heres what it said.

4) How does this type of filtration compare to paper oil filters?

We use ASTMF316 testing procedures which eliminate many of the user variables found in the SAE procedures. Basically, the filter media is pressurized from one side, and when the media starts passing particles, that is the micron rating. We sent filter media from several common brands of paper filters to the lab to be run through the ASTM test. We sent the media to the lab with no names, just numbers for identification so they wouldn't have any idea what brand filter they were testing. The results for the paper filters ranged from 48 microns for the best filter to over 300 microns for the worst filter. Our tests were right in line with other testing results we have researched that have paper media filters passing particles anywhere between 50 and 90 microns. What does this mean? Paper filters are rated on averages, percentages of efficiency (also known as beta ratios) and multiple passes, so a 10 micron rated paper filter (as advertised on the packaging) may be letting particles 50 microns and larger through. The medical grade stainless steel cloth that we use is consistent across the entire media surface and is rated at 35 microns, meaning nothing larger than 35 microns should pass through the material. The bottom line is we meet or exceed the filtration performance of OEM filters, eliminating any warranty issues.

Â
5) What Are Microns?

A micron is one thousandth of a millimeter. That's approx. .00003937 inches.

35 microns is about .00138", (just over one-thousandth of an inch).

The lower limit of visibity to the human eye is about 40 microns.

Pollens range from about 30 to 50 microns

A white blood cell is about 25 microns

Cigarette smoke is about 10 microns

ASTM F316 is a test for screening materials and consistency checks. completely meaningless in a real world filter. The rest is cherry picked and hugely anectdotal. May be and should's are red flags.

Only multi-pass testing will do. Beta Ratios rule.

It can be, everything is a balance. I can take a piece of very coarse filter material, use a little of it, and have a crappy filter with almost no pressure drop across the filter.

I can use a LOT of the same stuff and buil;d a great filter, that has a horrid pressure drop.

The skill is in the compromise. Come up with a material and media depth that provides good cleaning and a reasonable pressure drop. You can juggle size to an extent, but it has to fit the area, or you have to find the right combination of material, layers, pleats, etc, that do the job.

so yes, filter rating can effect pressure. But we are not likely to go buy a completely bad combination unless we go to some weird no name off brand at the local convenience store.

the point of the discussion of microns isn't how small a removed particle is but the back pressure in the system that gives the under-piston jets their quality of spray, without the pressure they plug and don't function correctly.

Sorry, microns count too. Wear debris and contaminants in the oil act as cutting agents. Polishing wear on the check balls, seats, and nozzles would be detrimental.

For roller bearings, you also want cleaner oil, the clearances under load are sometimes non existent. (the metals of the ball, and races will actually deform under high loads, with the tiny bit of oil in between actually turning into a solid for a very brief instant, not much room for crud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found it.

ASTM F316 and why I consider it not valid for filter rating

5. Significance and use
5.1.1 Determine the maximum pore size of a filter
5.1.2 Compare the maximum pore sizes of several filters.....

5.3 The results of this test should not be used as the sole factor to describe the limiting size for retention of particulate contaminants from fluids........does not refer to actual particle size retention....

Disclaimer: I REALLY don't like reusable oil filters.

I have been using the K&P oil filter for 4 years. The beauty of this type of filter is you have a magnet on the outside of the filter housing to allow you to see how much if any ferrous metal wear is taking place inside your engine. Also the stock oil filter has a bypass flap that will allow unfiltered oil to pass if your pressure is too high due to the oil viscosity when cold. The oil pressure would have to very high to crack open the bypass ball in the bottom the K&P filter to allow any unfiltered oil pass. By then the gasket would be blown on your engine.

There are a number of reputable engine builders who recommend this oil filter over the stock. I have been nothing less then pleased with how well my K&P filter works

I have one from my GW days. To me its more of a mess to clean them and such. I would rather just get a new one and toss the old one. I have the S1 still in the box asking $100.00 for it . Fits a bunch of different bikes. You can check the site listed above for the fitment.

do you still have filter for sale

Back