free website stats program K&N Filter Change | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

K&N Filter Change

I appreciate all the response I've gotten from everyone. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Next time I have any doubts or concerns I'll check here first. The filter #is 3929. Just recieved the Sportster edition of Fix My Hog, I'm going to be doing alot more wrenching in my basement and a little less in the service bay of my dealer until I can find a better one.

Ya, take it from an ex service manager, some of the mechanics out there dont care as much as you do about your machine. They will do the work and move on to the next one.

I appreciate all the response I've gotten from everyone. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Next time I have any doubts or concerns I'll check here first. The filter #is 3929. Just recieved the Sportster edition of Fix My Hog, I'm going to be doing alot more wrenching in my basement and a little less in the service bay of my dealer until I can find a better one.

While the K&N oil filter for EVO/Sportster motors is okay, why not use the HD one available in black and chrome and actually $1 cheaper than the K&N.? Frankly, the nut is convenient I suppose, but looks kinda chinsy with it welded on the end. JMHO.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil_related_tips/24930-10_or_30_micron_filter.html

63796-77A is 30 micron filter in CHROME and I feel silly that I did not remember my HD 2004 Sportster Service manual does NOT list the part number, and was one of those things I thought was really dumb when I got it. Naturally I wrote it down on my copy...and spare oil filters are on the shelf in the garage so I do not even think about it! :small3d007:

Last edited:
I changed my stock air filter on my 2007 XLC 1200 with close to 2700 miles on it. I was speaking to my local dealer telling him this, he immeadiately told me that I had ruined my motor by doing so. Before speaking with the shop I had put close to another 2000 miles on the bike before parking it for the winter. Now, I have been worried all winter that I have a ruined bike with only 4700 miles on it. The bike has run just fine before and after the filter change, only sounding a little louder, which may just be the Rush slip-ons breaking in. Aside from the K&N filter and the Rush slip-ons (dealer installed) nothing has been done to the engine. I did not make any computer adjustments after changing out the filter as I have always run K&N in all my vehicles without any problems. Have I ruined a perfectly good motor or is there some scare tactics going on since I didn't buy the filter from the dealrship???

Please Help ::(:(
I run K N filters in all my bikes, never any problems sounds like scare tactics to me

Back