free website stats program K&N Filter Change | Harley Davidson Forums

K&N Filter Change

I changed my stock air filter on my 2007 XLC 1200 with close to 2700 miles on it. I was speaking to my local dealer telling him this, he immeadiately told me that I had ruined my motor by doing so. Before speaking with the shop I had put close to another 2000 miles on the bike before parking it for the winter. Now, I have been worried all winter that I have a ruined bike with only 4700 miles on it. The bike has run just fine before and after the filter change, only sounding a little louder, which may just be the Rush slip-ons breaking in. Aside from the K&N filter and the Rush slip-ons (dealer installed) nothing has been done to the engine. I did not make any computer adjustments after changing out the filter as I have always run K&N in all my vehicles without any problems. Have I ruined a perfectly good motor or is there some scare tactics going on since I didn't buy the filter from the dealrship???

Please Help ::(:(

Since the dealer changed the mufflers (slipons) and said they reflashed...should be back to its' HD/EPA friendly state (lean best). Just changing the new air filter will not change anything, (as your old filter was likely not clogged) just putting things back to normal.

As Hobbit says ride and be comfortable with all that is well.

The dealer's rep probably wanted to sell you the same filter w/their "mark-up" profit. As long as you got the correct element for your bike & flashed it - you're good to go. I don't think K&N would do you wrong if something ever happened to the motor w/their product. They're excellent design & quality - ride w/confidence.

Like Hobbit said: "get on and ride it" ...... To a different shop!!, for all of your fulture business.

OK, here it is. NO. You did not hurt your motor. Pull your plugs, look to see if they are burning right. It will tell you how the motor runs. The burn on a plug will change with each modification you do. (intake, exhaust etc). If you change both, you may have to put in a fuel management system. (IE) fuel pac, or something similar, if it's a carb, it's a rejet. Been there, done that. My 2007 883 runs like a bear! I built my own air cleaner to fit the bike from an old 87 Blazer K&N. No BS. I'll send pic's if you want. Hit it back, let us know, I'm sure the boy's will help if we can. Keep it in the wind, HOLLYWOOD.....................

Maybe the dealer was referring to a dry K&N filter? Some people don't know you have to spray the K&N oil on the filter, and they run it dry instead. It wont destroy your engine running the filter dry, but it wont filter as good as it is designed to with oil.

Last edited:
Back