free website stats program Just Noticed while lifting Bike.Need Advise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Just Noticed while lifting Bike.Need Advise

Good thing you got those original pics. If one rail is bowed and the other isn't somethings out of wack, unless the frame was assembled like this. Anyway let Harley worry about it. Your resale will take a big dive if you don't get it fixed.
good luck

Just left my local dealer where I bought the bike, spent about an hour and had ten guys look at it. I brought my pics and they put it on the lift and took more, at one point they called me over to take a look at a small scratch an inc or so behind the warp, and I said, are you telling me you think this caused a Harley Davidson frame to warp like that ? And he said I was just showing you. I really don't think by hitting something you could warp the frame like this, this is a bend or warp, if something hit this there would be more of a Gash and paint removal,deep scratch maybe even a crease of some sort. I would imagine that Harley uses the best top quality tubular steel on their frames.

They did a report/claim and said he would send to Harley today and should hear back from them in a few days, I expect that means late next week. The bike is perfect I would really rather they warranty it for life than have to go through the hassle of taking all my stuff and putting it on a new bike. The will have that thing for two weeks or more. They better give me something to ride while my bike is down. I'll keep you all posted.

go take a look at other 09 dressers and see if it's a design thing or something just your bike has, implying a problem.

Someone else did all the work aside from small cosmetic add ons, like floorboard extenders, passenger floorboards,docking kit etc.. I did all that

*****They did a report/claim and said he would send to Harley today and should hear back from them in a few days, I expect that means late next week. The bike is perfect

***** I would really rather they warranty it for life than have to go through the hassle of taking all my stuff and putting it on a new bike.

*****They better give me something to ride while my bike is down. I'll keep you all posted.

my answers or opinions:
#####IF the bike was PERFECT, there would be no need to replace the frame...(perfect in your way) understood!

#####THEY may REPLACE the frame but I doubt if you will get a bike to ride for free-use UNLESS the place you bought (and works on) the HD gives one to use....

As far as a LIFETIME warranty ... against what? Harley won't do that.

IF YOUR bike is IN-SPEC FULLY (other than the bend) and rides good(true)... ??? YOU MAY want to keep it AS-IS, YOUR CALL,, I agree it will cost you if another person SEES the bend when you sell.

I think IF the frame tube was welded in place the way it SEEMS,, NOT bent AFTER JIG WELDED, it is probably in correct geometry and like you say rides that way....

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!
I may not come off sounding that way but HD a I have gone around about a thing or two in the PAST... I came out okay but NOT a FULL WIN..

HOPE yours GOES a GOOD WAY FOR YOU!!!!!.

signed....BUBBIE

You didn't mention if you used a motorcycle jack to lift the bike or not. But in my 2010 road king maintenace manual it states in numerous places that when lifting the bike that it must be lifted where the horizontal and vertical sections of the frame come together or serious damage may occur. This must be something to do with the new frame design as I have never seen this in any of my other harley manuels.

Just a thought..........

Thank you Bubbie, I'm sure I'm in for a fight with them. As far as lifting the bike, I just got a lift a week ago and that's how I noticed the bend. I have yet to lift the bike but i'm sure its been lifted. This bend was there originally, I looked back at the pics the day I brought the bike home and the bend is visible in those pics.

The bend is not noticeable unless you get down under the pipe and floorboard or know what your looking for. I am anal in that respect. it is what it is. I will fight for a new frame unless Harley can tell me this is within tolerance in a letter, if not, we will fight.

I took a close look at my 09 Ultra. The frames straight as an arrow where yours is not. I'd insist on a new frame or a letter from the MOCO (not your dealer) stating that the frame is within specs for when you later decide to sell it or trade it in. I know if I was looking to buy a bike and saw that I would turn and look elsewhere.

Back