free website stats program Just how much shift clack/clunk is okay? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Just how much shift clack/clunk is okay?

(unless you are on a witch hunt, or ride with Honda's)!
Hahahaha! Nah, I'm not one of THOSE guys. I have no particular bias like that. I just go with my gut on the deal. I wasn't looking for a Honda when I bought my VTX. I just found the deal. I must say though, I'm proud to have a Harley in the garage.
I ride mostly solo but the group I occasionally ride with is very diverse. ANY bike is welcome and we have quite a mix.

Thanks for the feedback, Y'all.
I feel a little better about it but it's not just there 1st gear shift. It clacks pretty good all the way through, though less in higher gears. Maybe it's just because im not used to it?
I bet, given the low milnes, the factory lube is still in there. I'll go ahead and try one of your recommended lubes and see how that goes. It might take me some time but I'll report back here about it.
BTW, not being familiar, would this bike still have a warranty based on mileage or has it timed out?
Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
I found with a Harley that one cannot rush their shifting.
You gotta take it slow and not go click click click like you can( and do ) with other bikes.
I have German, Japanese, British and American bikes: guess which one I still- after 12 years of ownership- cannot ride clunk free. Sometimes my up shifts go clunk. And sometimes it’s the downshifts.
I’ve found deliberation is the key. And matching revs. Being smoooth.

You could confirm all your linkages are snug and you could change the primary and gearbox oils for something resembling oil that should be there- as previously mentioned by several knowledgeable people.
Make sure both oil levels are correct.
If you wanted to, you could take the primary cover off and check the primary drive tension and confirm the tensioner is ok. Do this if you’re considering a Primary oil change.You don’t want to waste new oil.
Again, if you wanted to, you could fit an aftermarket Primary chain tensioner. They work better than the H-D one that lives in there.
Remember that Harley V-twins are somewhat agricultural when compared to other makes; and ridden accordingly.
When it’s all said and done, the main thing is have fun and enjoy riding your bike.

Well thanks, biscuit. I'll have a look see.
I like the "agricultural" description! LOL
I can MAKE it shift much quieter using using gingerly technique. I just wasn't sure if that was necessary for the brand/style or just my particular machine. Thanks again for the advice.

Your not use to a Harley, give it a little time and you won't even notice it.
That's really what I'm hoping for. Im gonna go ahead and look at the linkage, pull the cover and check things out during my fluid change. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Something else to think about, with only 2200 miles this scoot is brand new in side. It takes time for everything to settle in during the break in period. I’ve never seen 1 Harley that didn’t have the dreaded Harley clunk so I wouldn’t fret.
You posted you want to take off the side cover, Why? It’s brand new inside. If it we’re me I’d change the oil, check the tranny fluid level and ride.

Something else to think about, with only 2200 miles this scoot is brand new in side. It takes time for everything to settle in during the break in period. I’ve never seen 1 Harley that didn’t have the dreaded Harley clunk so I wouldn’t fret.
You posted you want to take off the side cover, Why? It’s brand new inside. If it we’re me I’d change the oil, check the tranny fluid level and ride.
You're exactly right! Your last couple of lines there are almost exactly my thoughts about as soon as I hit the "post reply" button. Think I still might change fluid though. Less racket likely means less wear.

Back