free website stats program Just how much shift clack/clunk is okay? | Harley Davidson Forums

Just how much shift clack/clunk is okay?

Brodie

Sorry Y'all if this is a dead horse but I'm new to Harley. Love it, ('16 FLHXS), so far. Im also new to the forum. Im sure you can see that too. o_O
I got this bike, not because I was looking, but because it came looking for me, and who am I to refuse fate?
Anyway, as you can probably guess, I'm concerned about the shift noise. This bike is practically new, 2238 miles. Im comparing it to my '05 VTX1800F3, which clunks into 1st, which is normal, but is barely audible shifting up and a light "tock" shifting down.
I know this is hard to describe qualitatively, but I'm worried and would like some guidance. Thanks Y'all.

You can eliminate much of the clunk when putting into 1st gear by holding in the clutch for a few extra seconds, rocking it back and forth with the clutch pulled in helps too.
No matter what your gonna have the dreaded clunk tho, it’s the Harley way.

I found when I change over to Redline shockproof in the tranny that made a noticeable difference with the clunk and better shifting.

There's a clunk.Big time different than a Honda.Be glad you gotta 2016,the new ones don't come with a heel shifter.;)

Do not use SYN3 in the transmission if You don't want clunking.Stick with Formula Plus for less clunking.

I also do what Jeff recommends to lessen the clunk going into 1st. I've had several big twins and each one has it's own quirks. 2nd to 3rd is a good clunk on my '07, but absent on my '92. There should not be much slop in the linkage from shift lever to transmission, but some is normal with the factory ball connections.

As Jeff and Breeze mentioned shifting into 1st will always give you a clunk, both my Harleys do that and +1 on Redline Shockproof it does quiete the clunk down and make for smoother shifting.

Welcome to the forum

I use Spectro 6 speed oil in my Transmission. Syn3 is for french fries. I get a slight clunk in first, but not much noise at all after that. Soon you won't hear it all (unless you are on a witch hunt, or ride with Honda's)!

Be glad you gotta 2016,the new ones don't come with a heel shifter.;)

LOL, I thought the heel shifter might be an add on. I tried it a couple times. Just seems weird but maybe I'll like it after some time.

Be glad you gotta 2016,the new ones don't come with a heel shifter.;)

LOL, I thought the heel shifter might be an add on. I tried it a couple times. Just seems weird but maybe I'll like it after some time.

I wouldn't be without one. After you get use to it you'll wonder why you didn't have one on all your scoots.

Back