free website stats program Just bought one | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Just bought one

Welcome Drew ,
I also just got an 883 L. Tonight was my first night on it since i got it. I've had around back of the house on a parking lot but not a lot of room for turning and such but was able to practice starting and stopping. Tonight we took it out to our HD dealer's lot here in town ( with there permission to do so that is) and I was able to ride continuously practicing turns right and left without worrying about running out of room. I didn't get it out of first gear but didn't feel like I needed to yet. Shifting isn't an issue for me anyway. I bought it the last week in May but then had to have the handle bars fixed so i could reach them. I hated to get off of it tonight but since it is air cooled it was getting a little warm. I can't wait to really get going on it but since my best friend wrecked hers by hitting a deer last week it reminded me that i need to be patient and learn the right / safe way. Good luck to you.
SPORTY LADY
I guess I need to get some pictures of my bike so i can change the picture in my profile. the white one is my husbands.

Congrats, At least you 883 runs. I've had mine a year and I haven't even attempted to start it. It needs a full restoration, and a financial backer.:bigsmiley24:

Well, I took delivery of her, and rode for a couple hours this weekend... it felt great! However, after riding for a bit I decided to test my new tire pressure gauge, just to see how it worked. I figured the bike would have had proper tire pressure given the dealer had just delivered it... nope! sporters air pressure is supposed to be 30 front/36 back psi... mine was 20/22. Yikes! Riding on VERY low tire pressure. Well, no harm no foul, but I am not real happy that it was delivered in that condition. I guess I should have checked the tires before riding, but I assumed that had been taken care of. Fortunately, it really doesn't take much to pump the tires. I just used a manual bicycle pump, and got them to proper inflation with just a few pumps.

I bought a yellow Shoei full face helmet, Joe Rocket mesh jacket with body armor (this thing really is nice and breezy with the liner out), armor gloves, boots, blue jeans.

GAME ON!! I'm stoked!

regards,
Drew

Congrats!! Not surprised on the tire pressure, but glad to hear you discovered it, reminds me I need to check mine.

Enjoy the ride, I just picked up the JR Phoenix jacket this weekend, rode in this morning with the liner in and was perfect for the cool morning, will be going home without the liner. Hardest part is just getting the backpack on now with the jacket. Ride safe!

I've been riding every day for the past 4 days, and am really getting comfortable with the bike. I haven't taken it on the highway yet, but I have taken it on major roads where traffic cruises at 45-50mph (gets me to 4th gear on the 883). I will say, those speeds definitely get me to sit up on the bike a little more... gets the heart racing a bit for sure. However, I have handled that well, and have been in the midst of busy traffic, intersections, what-not, and have executed pretty well all the way around. Turns, both from a stop and when moving have felt pretty good as well... you really have to lean that bike on right hand turns, not a lot of room to swing wide. I also duck into parking lots and practice slow speed stuff (e.g. u-turns) as well as emergency braking. But I am pleased that I am feeling pretty comfortable riding in traffic.

So, it's been a blast and I'm gaining confidence by the mile. I've even gotten a few "biker waves" from passing riders... I gotta admit, that's kind of cool :D

regards, and safe riding
Drew

Back