free website stats program Just answer these three simple newbie questions please!! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Just answer these three simple newbie questions please!!

The check engine light will light each time you start but should go out after it is running. If it comes back on you have a code stored.

The left switch is a spare.

The oil light on signals a problem with oil pressure. Check it out with an oil pressure gauge or just replace the oil sending unit and see if that corrects it.
Don't run the bike until you find out or you will be replacing the engine.

You can get the owners manual at any dealer and I would get the factory service manual too.
oh my - Im gonna have to go recheck. I thought that switch was for the running/passing lights? But, I am learning new stuff every day here. ;-))) I love this forum!!

Bill

The little yellow engine light should go out "BEFORE" you hit the start button. I believe it goes thru a diagnostics mode and the bike should not be started until it goes out. Am I right guys? Where's Glider? =}

That's what the dealer told me about starting up.

That's what the dealer told me about starting up.

My guess is that if it was REALLY important to wait for the engine light to go off first, the ECM would inhibit the start button until the ECM finished it's power on reset or boot. Since the start button is enabled, my guess would be it is OK..
I usually wait till the light goes out. It only takes a few seconds..:p

It's not as obvious on Touring bikes as it is was on my Nightster, but during the "check engine" light up the fuel pump starts to pressurizing and you can hear the fuel running through the return line back into the tank. I've not heard the same on my RG thogh. The ECM self test should be quicker than you could flip the run switch then the start button.

On item 3 in the original questions, are we sure the light in question is not the cruise control light. The cruise light raised my eyebrow the first time I test road a Touring model.

Smokintoad got it right, you should wait for the check engine light to go out and then hit the starter. If you have any stored check engine codes your four way flashers will blink rapidly on start up and go out. Sounds like your good to go.

First of all...A couple of days ago I bought a used Road King anniversary model but the guy didn't give me an owners manual so I have just three simple questions that need to be answered..

1)When I turn on the bike on,a light turns on that shows the engine(I think) does that mean an engine failure?because it just did it today...not before.
2)What does the switch behind of the headlight(left side) do?
3)..and last question:The oil signal is turned on all the time..does that mean that I ave to change oils or something?

So thank you very much and it would also be very helpful if you tell me where can I download or buy an owners manual..!

thanks again.

Red33m
sitting on the bike the right toggle is for the passing lamps if you have them.the elec socket is behind the headlamp.the left toggle is for any assesories.and reciptical is under the seat next to the battery

I took it for a ride and I noticed that both the oil and the engine light turn of after a few seconds...so it has no problem at all..after listening to the sound my mood has gone from apprhensive to in love!!

thanks for the info.!

What is the RPM at idle (warm)? If it is less than 900, your idling too low and will cause the oil light to come on. Some liked to turn the idle down low to get the potato-potato sound.
I'm not sure it would be the same with a bike but when my van was idling high when warm, I had an intake leak. That gave me an engine light that went away after getting moving.

Repair manual definitely the way to go and a necessity for troubleshooting.

Back