free website stats program Jiffy Stand Spring Replacement | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Jiffy Stand Spring Replacement

I've installed the Kickstand Kaddy and while it hasn't had many hours of a road test my initial reaction to it is favorable. It's a piece of cake to install. Even one so wrenchly challenged as I am easily had it in place in just a few minutes. Just measure back from the pivot point on your jiffy stand and bolt the clamp around the tubular frame at that point. Don't tighten it up completely to start with because you'll end up rotating it one way or the other until you get the clip perfectly aligned for the jiffy stand to snap into place into the clip. I didn't even use tne lift; just measured the distance, bolted it on, and "cut-and-tried" to get the clip perfectly aligned and tighten the bolt.

I was going to keep it in my saddlebags for use if my jiffy spring ever went South again while on the road, but I like it and am going to keep it on even if I do feel kinda like it's overkill as long as your spring is tight...(kinda like wearing both a belt and suspenders for your trousers). Don't expect a heavy duty machined steel part, but for under $20.00 I think it's well worth the money.

Many thanks for the tips. I've gotten to the point where I keep a roll of pennies in my tool kit to stretch the spring when it gets knocked off by scraping in tight turns. My 2009 Softail Classic is lowered as far as it can go. I've knocked the kickstand spring off several times now, and it's a pain in the hip pockets to get back on. I'll have to try the tip about loosening the top nut, replacing the spring, then tightening it back up. Good thought to use OEM springs, too! That way, at least I know I'm getting the right one.

Thanks again,

Tig Dupre
in Port Orchard, WA

Because of the layout of my 94 wideglide i need to take the spring off before i can use the bike jack
popping a spring off is easy getting it back on can be a pain
support the bike on a bike jack so the side stand can be held in the upright position
i then put one end of the spring in my bench vice and pull the spring over to one side this opens the coils of the spring
place a washer or small coin in between each of the open coils of the spring
pull the spring the other way and do the same on the other side then pull spring out of vice and put the other end in and work through the spring till a washer between each of the coils of the spring
offer spring up to bike with side stand upright pull out washers with sharp nosed plyers till it fits then put side stand down and rest bike on it all washers fall out use dust pan and brush to sweep up washers and put away till next time
this procedure will work on any spring

Brian

Rocket I use to just use a large pair of vise grips and muscle it, getting old now so find this is the only way I can do it anymore. I use a table lift with a front wheel vice but have also done it with a friend holding the bike up or sitting on it, just with move leg in to the out position as shown below, take the flange nut off, then lift the leg stop off allowing the leg to move foward and the tension is gone on the spring, the I R&R the spring and pull the leg back to the straight out position and install the leg stop and flange nut as shown below. Hope I said everything alright, it's one of those things my hands know what to do but is hard to tell someone else.
KickStand.jpg

Thanks to Brian and Chopper for very good 'tips' here. I know this thread is OLD - but when someone posts to an old thread, it pops back up on top of the list - and that's lucky for me I guess.

Good site for good tips for us on the forum. Keep it up.:D:D:D

Bill

Great thread, great advises. I have tried the nut, forward turn of the jiffy, but my 2007 Heritage (at least, the international version) does not allow to do it: no small blocking piece to remove. So I picked up all the cents coins I found and prolonged the spring. Easy, fast, wahtca great idea. My mechanic told me not to change it myself because of the tension of the spring. God bless Internet and pals as hdtimeline ones.
WAP.gif

It is a simple and easy way to get any powerfull spring long enough to fit easily i just wish i had worked it out earlier in life would have saved a lot of bad language

Brian

One of the recurring problems I have with my REALLY lowered '09 Heritage is the jiffy stand spring being knocked off in a tight turn. I used the coins/washer method of extending the spring to replace it, but recently had the entire jiffy stand assembly replaced. Because my bike sits so low, the regular-length stand makes her sit too high--too vertical. So I bought an after-market shortened stand and a new spring. When I put the new stand and spring on, I set the mounting hook on the stand so it comes in from the bottom, instead of from the top. That way, even if I have to scrape in a tight turn, the tip of the mounting hook won't catch on the road and pop loose.

What I'd really like to find is a jiffy stand with an internal ball and snap lock instead of an external spring. Anyone know of such a device? I know there are some for choppers, which mount on the rear frame, forward of the rear wheel, but have not yet found any for the center of the bike.

Back