free website stats program Jiffy Stand Spring Replacement | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Jiffy Stand Spring Replacement

Rocket I use to just use a large pair of vise grips and muscle it, getting old now so find this is the only way I can do it anymore. I use a table lift with a front wheel vice but have also done it with a friend holding the bike up or sitting on it, just with move leg in to the out position as shown below, take the flange nut off, then lift the leg stop off allowing the leg to move foward and the tension is gone on the spring, the I R&R the spring and pull the leg back to the straight out position and install the leg stop and flange nut as shown below. Hope I said everything alright, it's one of those things my hands know what to do but is hard to tell someone else.
KickStand.jpg

Thanks for posting the diagrams and, Chopper, I understand you fine. Thanks for spelling it out for me. I don't know if I'll try it before I need a new spring, but I'll try leaving the stand down, lifting the bike, removing the stop way next time.

In my initial post I mentioned ordering the Kickstand Kaddy.
Home Page
My stand is now tight, but I still want to try the Kickstand Kaddy. Even if I just keep it in my saddlebags I'd be able to quickly install it if ever needed.

Another thing on loose kick stand springs, I always buy the ugly stock springs, all the chrome ones I have ever bought were made in Taiwan and are cheap steel, they stretch out easy letting the kick stand hang down low.

Well, good, then Chopper because it's the ugly one I used. Of course it was an ugly one I replaced, too. I reckon 5+ years on a spring isn't all that bad.

I got the Kickstand Kaddy in. It's a simple little thing (cost less than $20.00) looking something like a hose clamp with a clip bolted to it to hold your kickstand up if your spring isn't up to the task for some reason. It bolts to the frame. I'm going to try it out, but will probably just keep it in my saddlebag kit. I may leave it bolted to the frame and just not keep the clip lined up with the kickstand to save wear and tear on the clip until I really need it. One very cool thing about the Kickstand Kaddy is that stamped in clear lettering are the words: Made In The U.S.A.

That almost sounds strange anymore "made in the USA", hey have you got a link to the place, a frind of my has the chop down ultima and almost got killed when his kickstand went down while we were riding through town, up on the side walk and almost into a pole, I might buy him one for his birthday:)

Here's the link, Chopper.

Home Page

It was absolutely no fun riding with the loose kickstand those (too many) miles home trying to keep constant pressure to hold it up with my heel. I had all kinds of thoughts about that loose stand hitting the pavement and causing a loss of control. I promised myself I'd never ride with a loose kickstand again.
I'm glad your friend wasn't hurt. Yeaaaaaah, there's a picture of the Kickstand Kaddy at that link (under installation instructions). Check it out.

Got a neat brake spring tool from Matco that clams onto the spring and works quite well on most any springs

Fin;
Awesome tip! for any spring.

And why does Glider always say..."yea, it's in the self help section"??? I missed that while he was out for a while. hahahhahahaha.

What is it with jiffeys these days?
Got back after 50 mile ride to day & put my foot to the jiffy only to find it hanging down about 2 inches and flopping about - ironic since I was just reading this thread last night. Spring problem most likely. I'll be re-reading this thread & visiting the self help section tonight.....

Back