free website stats program Jiffy Stand movement after engagement | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Jiffy Stand movement after engagement

Tighten the jiffy stand bolt. Mine loosens over time and I find if I torque it up even a little it removes some of the movement.

I took it apart last night to inspect. Bolt was tight. Found some play in the square drive on the stand and the lock plate. Didn't see any abnormal wear on the lock plate sides or the sides of the bracket.

I thinks it's a case of tolerance stacking... A little play here and a little play there all add up to a lot of play when the stand is down causing the "heart attack" :)
Take care,
Dave
WAP.gif

Yeah, my bike did have some play in the position of the jiffy stand. It is a VERY frightening thing when it rolls forward a few inches as the play comes out of the jiffy stand. Harley Heart Attack!!

TQ

My 09 FLHR does scare me and others like yours. I don't know about 3 inches, But my bike does move like yours. These are heavy bikes and I don't park mine (level) out in front of a Bar:newsmile030:

My side stand has been abused in REAL RIDING.......:bigsmiley16:

56,000 miles so far and I bought it NEW late (Aug 09) at the time new bikes were com'n out for the "10 model year.

These bikes are heavy and that Lock PLATE on my bike is light for the NON Bar Hopper I own.....:newsmile075:

I'll check mine also but I don't worry, it has not fallen over yet.... Does make me and others JUMP......:s

Feels good to RIDE the bike but Not to park it... EH :gh

signed....BUBBIE

My 2010 ultra does it also 2 or 3 inches. Scares people to death. Been doing it since new. Have 22k on it now hasn't changed.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Both my 2006 R. King and my 2010 Ultra do it somewhat. I have always just assumed it was a "Harley thing". I didn't know about the stand kicking up if forgotten. Interesting...:57:

I've had some non-motorcycle friends lunge for the bike when this happens! I chuckle and tell them how the Harley side stand works.

My 1975 Suzuki GT750 has a more "traditional" kick stand. No locking mechanism like the Harley but on a mild down hill it won't tend to "creep" like the Harley. I still try to park it uphill! The Water Buffalo also has a centerstand.

Wow, I thought it was just me...and it is aptly named...always seems to do it when I stop for gas...I know I must look a bit spastic when I jump to save the bike...

I was out with a few buddies today on a ride and at some point in the day, each guy made a comment about how much their bikes move on the stand. I didn't say anything, just observed...

Dave

Back