free website stats program Jiffy Stand movement after engagement | Harley Davidson Forums

Jiffy Stand movement after engagement

Taildraggerdave

Hello again,

Seems that my jiffy stand has more play in the locked position than I remember. As an example, I was at a buddies house last weekend, put the stand down and leaned the bike over to lock it in place. My bike rolled about 3" forward and my buddy grabbed for it thinking it was going to fall over.

At rest and locked, my jiffy stand tends to be a couple inches behind center line of the pivot and lock (on level ground). To someone not familiar, it looks like the stand is going to flip up at any second. I lube it with some anti seize at each service and inspect the leg lock bolt. The leg lock seems to fit well enough over the square on the jiffy stand leg.

I didn't measure it but it appears as though there is quite a bit of space between the leg lock and the two bars that it slides through on the frame mount. I doubt this is a wear area so maybe something got a little bent?

Anyone run into this or something similar?

Take care,
Dave

My 09 FLHR does scare me and others like yours. I don't know about 3 inches, But my bike does move like yours. These are heavy bikes and I don't park mine (level) out in front of a Bar:newsmile030:

My side stand has been abused in REAL RIDING.......:bigsmiley16:

56,000 miles so far and I bought it NEW late (Aug 09) at the time new bikes were com'n out for the "10 model year.

These bikes are heavy and that Lock PLATE on my bike is light for the NON Bar Hopper I own.....:newsmile075:

I'll check mine also but I don't worry, it has not fallen over yet.... Does make me and others JUMP......:s

Feels good to RIDE the bike but Not to park it... EH :gh

signed....BUBBIE

My 09 FLHR does scare me and others like yours. I don't know about 3 inches, But my bike does move like yours. These are heavy bikes and I don't park mine (level) out in front of a Bar:newsmile030:

My side stand has been abused in REAL RIDING.......:bigsmiley16:

56,000 miles so far and I bought it NEW late (Aug 09) at the time new bikes were com'n out for the "10 model year.

These bikes are heavy and that Lock PLATE on my bike is light for the NON Bar Hopper I own.....:newsmile075:

I'll check mine also but I don't worry, it has not fallen over yet.... Does make me and others JUMP......:s

Feels good to RIDE the bike but Not to park it... EH :gh

signed....BUBBIE

That kind of mileage is impressive !
I'll have to take it off and inspect everything really closely.
Perhaps my lock plate has some wear in it that I haven't seen.

I just found out today that our punch press at work has square dies as well.
If the bracket and stand check out, I may have to make a new lock plate that fits tighter.

Take care,
Dave

Be careful modding the jiffy stand in any way. If you forget and leave it down,, you want it to kick up and out of the way if you lean over in a curve or turn, not refuse to do that and throw you on the ground. It is designed the way it is for a reason. You do not want to do experiencial R & D.

Your bike, your choice. Just my 2 cents.

Enjoy,
Rich P

This known as the "Harley heart attack"!

If I have a choice I try to park pointing uphill.

I like the fact that there is a term for it :)
Take care,
Dave
WAP.gif

Tighten the jiffy stand bolt. Mine loosens over time and I find if I torque it up even a little it removes some of the movement.

Back