free website stats program Jagg vs. HD Oil Cooler | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Jagg vs. HD Oil Cooler

I am undecided about whether to get a Jagg 10 row or an HD oil cooler for my 09 Road Glide. I like the fact that the Jagg is frame mounted up out of the way compared to the down low installation of the HD oil cooler. On the other hand, I like the fact that the HD oil cooler comes with all the hoses, etc. and looks like it was installed at the factory. I'd appreciate any comments from those of you who have either. Thanks.

Personally, I like the oil cooler that fits in between the forward frame tubes (pg 276 of the Softail section). It does not interfere with the rider, and looks all of one piece in all it's chrome glory...IF it fits your bike.

2009 GENUINE MOTOR ACCESSORIES CATALOG

Last edited:
Which ever cooler you decide on, don't let the cost be the deciding factor when your talking about putting it on a $20,000 plus Harley. I went with the 10 row Jagg in black. I'm very happy with my choice and I'm not looking back! Just my penny's worth for what its good for...

:small3d004:

I keep hearing protected from road debris when the normal front mounted oil cooler is talked about. Has anyone ever had an oil cooler damaged by anything from the road hitting it? I have never heard of it happening.
When it come to mods of any kind on your bike always remember there is what sounds good and then there is the real world.

No, not my oil cooler, but I did have a rock take out my headlight on my last scooter... Anything facing forward is subject to a rock strike, whatever the odds. imho... :)

After adding the oil cooler what did you notice most, better oil pressure, less engine lifter noise? I understand keeping the oil cooler should lead to better protection. We get a few hot days here in the NW but I have noticed with long rides on hot days I have more lifter noise than I like, of course dealer said they all do that.

A question I would like answered FIRST..What oil do you use?....

This DOES make a big difference as I live in enumclaw wa...I use FULL synthetics that are engineered n designed for our air-oil cooled HD's ....
REDLINE is my choice..20/50 engine..MTL in clutch..SHOCKPROOF HEAVY in tranny
JUST MY CHOICES....MANY years using these products and it has PAID-OFF

After my cooler install: LESS noise even with the syn oil. ...UNIT DID NOT lower oil pressure.. COOLER OIL helps keep the oil pressure UP a bit (or not droping off from high heat)... LESS lifter noise.

WA. Not the warmest place in the world to ride..I do spend time in AZ. where the oil NEEDS continual cooling. With JAGG cooler and MY syn oil, the oil temp. NEVER runs over 200* that checked after a long run @ temps of 90/105*

In WA. you can start out with COLD TEMPs and not need cooler (off on bypass valve) BUT by mid day HOT,, a simple 90* turn of valve and cooler is cooling.

I went with a JAGG side mount using THEIR offered manual control knob in line right below the oil cooler.. Looks great an easy to change flow when the warmer part of day comes....

I will install the same JAGG unit on my 09 FLHR ...

signed....BUBBIE

I keep hearing protected from road debris when the normal front mounted oil cooler is talked about. Has anyone ever had an oil cooler damaged by anything from the road hitting it? I have never heard of it happening.
When it come to mods of anykind on your bike always remember there is what sounds good and then there is the real world.

Haven't had my low mounted HD oil cooler damaged from anything hitting it, but I did find the cooling fins completely clogged and covered with dried mud during my trip to Sturgis this year. Took scrubbing with a brush and water to expose the fins again.

Personally, I like the oil cooler that fits in between the forward frame tubes (pg 276 of the Softail section). It does not interfere with the rider, and looks all of one piece in all it's chrome glory...IF it fits your bike.

2009 GENUINE MOTOR ACCESSORIES CATALOG

That's the problem, the Jagg oil coolers don't fit between the forward frame tubes on my 09 Road Glide. I wanted to get an oil cooler before my first trip to Sturgis this year and went with the HD oil cooler. I was leaving in a few days and my local dealer had it in stock and could immediately install it.

The HD oil cooler has worked fine and it hasn't been hit by anything yet despite being in harm's way. However, as I noted in a concurrent post, I did find the cooling fins completely clogged and covered with dried mud during my Sturgis trip. Took water and a brush to expose the fins again.

Back