free website stats program Issues on last ride (2700mi) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Issues on last ride (2700mi)

Got to go along with Jack and dbmg, have a discussion with your dealer, this should not have happened.

For that very reason..loose spokes, I went with a cast wheel on the front od my softy.

Got to go along with Jack and dbmg, have a discussion with your dealer, this should not have happened.

For that very reason..loose spokes, I went with a cast wheel on the front od my softy.

I want cast wheels bad, But every time I get a some work and make some money it's seems to have to go elsewhere. But I do have these questions on them.

I notice that 'some' of the HD chrome wheels have reported the chrome bubbling up and chipping. Admittedly the HD wheels are not near as expensive (same quality chrome) as the many after market ones. Have you guys heard of this happening very often ?

Also if a cast wheel becomes out of true (I suspect from hitting something) then it's trash correct, i.e. you can't true them up like with laced wheels ?

About that pin hole in the rear brake line... Had the same thing on my '03 Road King Classic. It makes a good case for that T-CLOCK pre ride inspection... We were on our way back from Sturgis, and Snake Harley in Twin Falls, Idaho worked me in and fixed it right away.

We had a loose spoke issue on the wifes 2011 Heritage rear wheel, the dealer did go good for the repairs. I have learned to keep a better watch on the spokes. These spoked wheels were designed a way back when bikes had a lot less power, more cubic inches, better cams, tuners, more power to the same wheels.

I want cast wheels bad, But every time I get a some work and make some money it's seems to have to go elsewhere. But I do have these questions on them.

I notice that 'some' of the HD chrome wheels have reported the chrome bubbling up and chipping. Admittedly the HD wheels are not near as expensive (same quality chrome) as the many after market ones. Have you guys heard of this happening very often ?

Also if a cast wheel becomes out of true (I suspect from hitting something) then it's trash correct, i.e. you can't true them up like with laced wheels ?

H D chrome was second to none but IMO lately it has slipped, Cast wheels once you smack em hard you aint going to fix them

Just got back from a hunting trip so haven't been on the forums. The rear wheel was replaced by the dealer with out hassle. The brake line was replaced on the sportster and is better then before (redesigned from the master cyl to the caliper). All is all it was a great trip.

AJ

R_W_B

Just got back from the beach so I'm late on this. I had my front wheel replaced on rebuild from the crash, so I've only had it a few months but no problems so far. It is the HD Typhoon mirror chrome, saving to replace the back with the same..hope Santa finds it on my wish list. (funny if Santa brings it, I still foot the bill...LOL)

R_W_B

Just got back from the beach so I'm late on this. I had my front wheel replaced on rebuild from the crash, so I've only had it a few months but no problems so far. It is the HD Typhoon mirror chrome, saving to replace the back with the same..hope Santa finds it on my wish list. (funny if Santa brings it, I still foot the bill...LOL)

Thanks for the reply. I also like those Typhoons, kinda stuck between them and the OEM SuperGlide Cast spokes for my same year. It's comforting to hear that other's have to 'save' to buy also. LOL.

Wanted to discuss the few issues we had on our last ride. If you missed it the link is here: Going to Canada - Harley Davidson Community

First was with my '07 Dyna. About 30mi out I lost significant power just after a toll booth. Pulled over and found that the plug wire popped off the plug on the rear cyl. Put it back on and it was fine the rest of the way. Anyone ever have this happen?

AJ

yes and it has never happened again.

Maintenance is the most important thing you can do to your scoot. None of the problems described were manufacturing defects. I do regular maint and inspections (not just oil changes) on my scooter. Every time I clean my bike it gets thoroughly inspected as I am crawling over the bike washing it. I take this thing out on the open road at speeds that sometimes I shouldn't so I need to know it is as safe as it can be.

Back