free website stats program Issue with Stock tail pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

Issue with Stock tail pipes

I have a 2007 Dyna Superglide Custom. I have been riding it since last October. It has stock tailpipes, tapered at the ends. Sounds good, but I am noticing some rust build up around the inside edges and they are showing signs of a roughness around the edges...almost like they are being hit around the edges. I don't understand why these things are happening...maybe it is normal wear and tear??? Any comments are welcome, and I was also wondering if there are any aftermarket attachable end caps or the like for these stock pipes. Thanks...

I don't know about normal wear and tear with this rust issue as I have 2200 miles on my 08 Ultra and the stock pipes started showing signs of rust before I put 1000 miles on them. It made the bike look bad. I used permatex rust treatment that comes in a spray can like paint. it converts the rust and turns it black. Now it at least looks like black carbon from exhaust instead of rust. I think it must be poor quality metal they used or maybe it is because the bike runs so lean, it doesn't build up carbon on end of exhaust pipe. :bigsmiley29:
Here is a picture of my stock pipes. Not sure if it will show in this picture. Right side was worse and this pic was taken at 500 miles.

ph-10226.jpg

Very common for the rust around the pipe exit. I use some nevr dull around there when I clean the bike and it keeps it to a minimum if at all.

Very common for the rust around the pipe exit. I use some nevr dull around there when I clean the bike and it keeps it to a minimum if at all.

I am thinking that maybe I should have done that but might be too late now as this rust treatment is some sticky stuff. (and flammable too :32:) I didn't have to worry about this when I had the Pythons on but I put the stock back on cause Pythons just a little bit too noisy.

Thanks for the great replies. At least I feel like what I am experiencing is somewhat normal if not a little disappointing. I will try a couple of the suggestions. Does anyone know of any type of pop-on covers for the ends of these tapered pipes? I thought maybe there would be some cool aftermarket addition I could find.

Buckwild Biker - sri to hear about your experience with your baby. I have not had any problems with the tailpipes on mine, but I live in a desert climate (but not this winter for some d--n reason) and moisture has not proven to be problem as yet. I agree with the earlier post...take it back to your dealer.

In regards to your questions about add ons, I have not seen any just yet for stock harley pipes and I am hoping that some of our more experienced members can answer this for you.

Idaho John

Buckwild Biker - sri to hear about your experience with your baby. I have not had any problems with the tailpipes on mine, but I live in a desert climate (but not this winter for some d--n reason) and moisture has not proven to be problem as yet. I agree with the earlier post...take it back to your dealer.

In regards to your questions about add ons, I have not seen any just yet for stock harley pipes and I am hoping that some of our more experienced members can answer this for you.

Idaho John
Thanks Idaho, I think I will talk to the dealer about it when she goes in for her 1000 mile check-up. It might be a good excuse to upgrade the pipes...always looking for the silver lining. I like your part of the country. Dryer is better. Ohio has been overly wet this winter. Got to pass thru your state last summer on a road trip--4 wheel not 2 wheel that time. Loved the area! I am hoping to trailer the bike to SD in August to ride Sturgis.

I had the same problem on my '07 Road King Classic. The rust was very obvious because the stock exhaust is slash up. I have seen this problem for several years on almost every RKC I have seen, even on some new ones sitting at the dealer.

My fix was to paint the area with high heat barbecue flat black paint. Here are the steps I used:

1. Use a 3M scotchbrite pad to clean off as much of the rust as possible. It gets into the corners very easily.
2. Blow off all the reside.
3. Use a liquid chrome polish to get off as much of the rest of the rust as possible.
4. Take a cloth with prep-sol sovent and wipe the area clean to remove any remaining chrome polish. Rubbing alcohol will do if you do not have prep sol.
5. Mask off the areas you do not want to paint.
6. Spray 4 or 5 LIGHT coats of barbecue flat black paint.

This made a huge difference in the appearance of my bike. The flat black paint looks just like exhaust carbon and I have no visible rust. I am careful to wipe out any water from the exhaust end whenever I wash the bike. I have had a little bit of rust showup after a few months, where the baffle is welded to the outer pipe, so I just repeated the process and it looks great again. It was much easier to do the second time because there was so little rust.

I had the same problem on my '07 Road King Classic. The rust was very obvious because the stock exhaust is slash up. I have seen this problem for several years on almost every RKC I have seen, even on some new ones sitting at the dealer.

My fix was to paint the area with high heat barbecue flat black paint. Here are the steps I used:

1. Use a 3M scotchbrite pad to clean off as much of the rust as possible. It gets into the corners very easily.
2. Blow off all the reside.
3. Use a liquid chrome polish to get off as much of the rest of the rust as possible.
4. Take a cloth with prep-sol sovent and wipe the area clean to remove any remaining chrome polish. Rubbing alcohol will do if you do not have prep sol.
5. Mask off the areas you do not want to paint.
6. Spray 4 or 5 LIGHT coats of barbecue flat black paint.

This made a huge difference in the appearance of my bike. The flat black paint looks just like exhaust carbon and I have no visible rust. I am careful to wipe out any water from the exhaust end whenever I wash the bike. I have had a little bit of rust showup after a few months, where the baffle is welded to the outer pipe, so I just repeated the process and it looks great again. It was much easier to do the second time because there was so little rust.
Another great suggestion! Thanks

Back