free website stats program Is this too much | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is this too much

As most have said...1000 mile service if purchased from the dealer one would think should be free or at least just the price of the materials...! That said, that sounds pretty high for basically an hours worth of shop time...was this your bike' first service and BTW what was the SB for and did they provide you with info on the work order that it was done?

Maine e axe... Those cavemen ain't gonna like your comment! hahahahahaha

Some of us bite the bullet on the main service mileage marks as someone said to make warrantee work smoother.

However, those mileage numbers may be a bit high for some of us mechanical types that like running clean lubricants.

Get the manual and with a few tools and a little patience you can do the "tweeners" by yourself saving time and $$$. Plus, when your bike finally goes over the warrantee period, you'll be an expert at changing the fluids.

It's cheaper than what I just paid for a service. I just bought a lift and plan to start doing my own maintenance from now on.

Oh, main-e-axe all the heavily bearded folk on this site just shuddered. I paid $270 with synthetics in Aug. '06 so $310 aint bad. But still a rip.

That is probably average on what most shops charge. Do I think it's a fair price for a 1000 mile check?......NO.

Any money I have to pay for maintenance is too much!. I bought a service manual and read the service manual and do all my own servicing of my bike. That way I know it is done and done right.

Unless you have more money than you know what to do with and just hate to get your hands dirty, buy yourself a service manual and do the work yourself. Between the manual and help from the fine people on this forum, you'll be an A-one mechanic in no time :)

leonm47 that price is right in the ball park. If you really want to, and feel comfortable doing the services on the bike yourself I would encourage you to because then you know it was done right and when the time comes you break dowm on the road the knowage could be helpful to you, but really not at all necessary in this day and age, with a cell phone and enough money you can fix anything:) If your not comfortable wrenching on your bike I recommend having it done at a dealership you can trust, the techs are (or should be) trainned and they can do things right the first time and spot problems the untrainned eye would miss because they do it every day. $310.00 is a fair price with syn 3, I've seen dealerships charge as much as $450.00 in Salt Lake for the same service. Book time in the 09 time code book from Harley is 2.5 hrs for the 1,000 M/S so you can time that by the shop labor rate, add $15.00 for shop supplies and the rest would be parts (Fluid & Gaskets) plus tax.

Back