free website stats program Is this too much | Harley Davidson Forums

Is this too much

leonm47

I'm new to the Harley world but I was in my dealer's this week for a recall on my SG and noticed the cost of a 1000mi check was $310.00. Is this in the ballpark? bear in mind I'm mechanically challenged.

Its not high or low. If they do a good job, its fair. Problem is, too many times they do not. If you are capable of driving a HD, you are capable of doing this service. Buy a manual and follow instructions. You will learn your bike and save money.

Its not high or low. If they do a good job, its fair. Problem is, too many times they do not. If you are capable of driving a HD, you are capable of doing this service. Buy a manual and follow instructions. You will learn your bike and save money.

Got to agree 110%

Get a good manual and learn to do your own work.For me thats 1/2 of the fun and you will save a ton of money in the long run.

One way I try to save is that when me local dealer has a sale I try to buy whatever will will needed for my next service.

Man, Leonm47 - if you can afford a "Vette" then you can cover the $310 HD service.:s

Seriously, get the HD service manual (~$60) & parts/materials (~$50 - $70) and learn your bike. Overall, you'll cut this 1K service to less than 1/2 & gain some maint knowledge.

I'm new to the Harley world but I was in my dealer's this week for a recall on my SG and noticed the cost of a 1000mi check was $310.00. Is this in the ballpark? bear in mind I'm mechanically challenged.
==========================================
IMO, yes it's in the ballpark, but it's FOUL!! $310 to change 3 oils and put a shot of grease in the neck. Everything else is "check", which means quick look. And the $310 is probably base, then add 10% for shop supplies, $$ for environmental disposal, and whatever else they can slip in. You may get a free wash though.

One thing the others didn't mention, if you do decide to do this by yourself (which I agree is the way to go if you get the manual, and take your time to learn your bike) make sure to save ALL your receipts, and keep good records.

Otherwise if you ever do need to take it in for warranty work they might decide to be jerks about it.

There is nothing that says the dealer MUST do the service, you are free to do it yourself. Just make sure if they challenge you if you ever need warranty work done you have the paperwork to back up your claim it was done - and right.

... Otherwise ... unfortunately, yes that number sounds about what my local dealer charges for the same service as well.

Good Luck!

Just a warning; if you questioning the cost of a 1000 miles service you should learn to do it yourself or be sure you're sitting when you inquire about the cost of the 10,000 mile service.

Back