free website stats program Is Herko still around? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is Herko still around?

If you get the 2006 Dyna parts manual, you will have access to all the parts and part numbers you need for the hydraulic conversion, except the Andrews cams.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I included a list of part numbers if you do the SE kit with Andrews 21's in the following link.....just scroll down a little to view them Harley Davidson Forums

This is the kit I had installed on my bike. This is a very good kit from Andrews. I went with the Andrews 21N cam and you can feel the lower end torque in the seat of your pants. It is not a wild cam just a mild cam with a little more lift over the stock cam. Now I don't have to worry about old tensioners coming apart and trashing the engine. Just fill up with gas and ride:D.

Thank's for the info everyone. One question I think I know the answer to but have to ask. Will the Andrews require remapping the ecm?

Thank's for the info everyone. One question I think I know the answer to but have to ask. Will the Andrews require remapping the ecm?

Yes and no. You can choose to have the dealer do a new canned map but it will still more than likely leave the bike running way too lean. The other thing they can program is the rev limiter, which I wouldn't do anyway. I don't ride my bagger in those upper rpm ranges anyway. After the cams you will need more fuel into the motor to see their full potential.

Most add a fueler like a Dobeck TFI, Power commander, V&H Fuel-Pak etc. just to name a few. I chose the Dobeck from the positive feedback from other members here on this site and I love it. Along with my Andrews 21's, mine pulls very strong and I really don't plan on doing anything more. Plenty of giddy-up for a big bike and still as reliable as stock :s

My bike has had the SE stage 1 tuner program installed. Will that suffice?
I'm thinking that after installing the cams it will have lower vacuum at idle so the ECM will richen the fuel mixture at idle as it would in say an EFI GM if no reprogramming is done am I correct in my thinking?

Going out a limb, I would have to say it'll lean it further. The drop in vacuum is more critical in say a heavily cammed car with a huge amount of overlap set up to run best in the high rpm ranges. It doesn't really apply in a fuel injected torquey motor like the V-Twin. The MAP sensor? reads the manifold pressure and makes adjustments to the fuel curve, not a vacuum sensor.

The SE stage 1 map from the dealer is still too lean in my opinion. Adding a fueler like a Dobeck Gen3 has two advantages, tuning for more power and adding fuel to cool an otherwise already hot running motor. A quality dyno shop can custom tune the map to squeeze every last ounce of power out of the motor but what do most of us really want with our FLH's. More USABLE power in the rpm range we ride. With it's earlier closing intake in the Andrews 21's and some others, that is exactly what you get.....more low end power. As I said before, my best recommendation from experience is a cam that produces more low end power coupled with a fuel "adder" piggybacked to the stock or dealer re-mapped ecm. I haven't heard many complaints if any, other than issues with folks having trouble dialing in the tuners by going crazy and moving the pots or zones all over the place. Small incremental tweaks to the tuner while road testing it netted me a very well behaved motor that really does pull like a tractor and is still very reliable. I have ridden friends FLH's and Heritage Softails with 95 BB kits, Stock 96's and 103's and this little 88 impresses all of us in roll on pulls. Nobody is leaving me behind. 40-70 mph pulls leaves them giving me that "seriously dude?" look. They swear I've done more to it than a simple cam and Dobeck.

My bike has had the SE stage 1 tuner program installed. Will that suffice? I'm thinking that after installing the cams it will have lower vacuum at idle so the ECM will richen the fuel mixture at idle as it would in say an EFI GM if no reprogramming is done am I correct in my thinking?

No. The Stage I "flash" adds a bit of fuel at cruise rpms and raises the rev limiter from 5800 to 6200. Additionally the Stage I flash is configured to work with the OEM Stage I aif filter and exhaust; not aftermarket parts.

Get yourself one of the Dobeck units as BigAl66 suggests; Gen3 or Gen4. If cams is your only upgrade to your current Stage I configuration, the Dobeck unit is all you need.

This is the kit I had installed on my bike. This is a very good kit from Andrews. I went with the Andrews 21N cam and you can feel the lower end torque in the seat of your pants. It is not a wild cam just a mild cam with a little more lift over the stock cam. Now I don't have to worry about old tensioners coming apart and trashing the engine. Just fill up with gas and ride:D.

All OEM parts except the cams; no need to pay more from Andrews. IIRC, Andrews sells the kit for $520 for '02-'06 and $570 for '99-'01. The parts can be purchased from an online H-D discount dealer for much less. The last kit of parts I bought was about $370 but I believe the oil pump price has increased and jacked the price up a bit but still cheaper than Andrews.

Back