free website stats program Is a new bike really a hard decision? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is a new bike really a hard decision?

hard decision?
not really just stop by the dealer and ride a few the bike will make it for you :)
Thought the wife on the back of any of the baggers and you will be sold. :)

I see you ride COMFORTABLY with your wife like I do!:D

I am 6'4" and check in at 300. Always 2 up with my wife on an Ultra. We get 12 to 15,000 miles a year and are very comfortable.

just in case anyone wonders what 6'3" 270lbs plus a lady looks like on the back of a sportster...

here it is...

l_07add4e3d94748768777dead045ac5d7.jpg

found my bike statement from last month... apparently i owe more than its worth.. :p

found my bike statement from last month... apparently i owe more than its worth.. :p
OUCH.

I am all about buying used if you can do it. There are used, private sale, bike bargins way better than any dealer will ever offer you. Check craigs list and e=bay and be patient, the right one will come along. My rig was about $15k less than what new would be and in new condition. except for one small paint chip and a dented fork cover. One can buy a lot of fork covers and touch up paint for 15 large.

In this economy needs eclipse wants. I'm semi retired and have just got into riding...again. My 95' XLH1200 Sportster was priced right and I could pay cash. That is my criteria for major purchases these days. It had 8K on it, a stage one, HD bags, HD windsheild, after market seat and a lotta small stuff. I would have to find a good deal to move up.

I stay away from test rides at the dealer and offers to ride friends new bikes, much too tempting and I'm also in the hunt for a mid 90's Corvette convertable.

My wife is disabled with multiple parts replacements and a mostly fused back. The only ride I would consider is a TriGlide but at 32K and no used market availability this is way outta my price range. So a Vette convertable would be something we could both enjoy.

Your best bet is to remove the add ons and sell them privately. Usually they don't give you anything for the extras you installed on yours but when it comes time for them to sell your bike to the next owner you get the "look at all the extras you are getting, that's why the price is so high" talk.

NEVER trade in with any extras on the bike unless you just have abundant cash to donate to the dealer. There are a few exceptions where people actually got thrown a bone for the extras but it is few and far between unless the dealer is overstocked with new bikes and wants to move them.
Remember too in most cases that the dealers have a floor plan on the bikes on display meaning the longer they hold on to them the more interest they pay on the money they borrowed to keep the units which translated into less profit on their part. They really don't want a bike sitting on the floor too long or it may end up being a wash for them instead of a money maker. Same thing with car dealers.

Actually they are giving you LESS than trade in value, which doesn't surprise me. An educated consumer is the dealers worst nightmare.

BTW, who told you that Harleys hold their value? :bigsmiley20:

Hi Rabid, and welcome to HDTimeline....
I have to agree with you on your thoughts here. We are in a VICIOUS economy where any economic mis-step many folks might make can be devastation to their family. I'm not saying we shouldn't have some fun, and not enjoy our lives a little, but unless you're truly well-healed and have the ability to pay for your luxury item without any chance of regret, peace of mind calls for "playing it safe" right now.
I'd LOVE to have a new scoot, and licked my lips like a hungry wolf at an '09 CVO Street Glide exactly like the one below:

09RoadGlide1.jpg

Then, after the dealer told me I'd owe him 21 THOUSAND DOLLARS, and that would be AFTER handing him my mint condition loaded to the max '03 Ultra, I said....."ya know what? I think my bike will suit me just fine for a while."

Now, don't get me wrong fellas....I'd LOVE to have that new bike....but JEEZ-LOUISE! TWENTY ONE LARGE and my scooter to get a new bike? I mean, OK, it sure is pretty, but is it THAT pretty? And is MY bike only worth 10K??? (I might have that much in accessories on it!!!)

Those are the questions I had to ask myself....and I'm still riding the Ultra. (Which I have the TITLE for, not a "coupon book".)
Funny you posted this Richard. I posted this bike back awhile after I toured York. I too love this scoot!!. When I first saw it at the factory, I kind of dismissed it, but on the way out after the tour I stopped and really looked this CVO Road Glide over and I love it, especially in the Gold metallic flake. I would buy one tomorrow if I could. I am just going to wait and get my Road King next fall. I too do not want to trade my bike in, I would like to keep it.

As far as buying a new bike, go for it. Life is short. If you have some cash and your safe at work, just do it, probably the best time to buy anything right now. My wife and I are looking for a place in Key West, we talked about it for awhile and now is the time.

Last edited:
$21K and your bike?

Go offer them $18K but remove the extras on your bike.:D

Knock off shipping and prep too and bring the check book.

I'll throw in a can of Pledge.

Back