free website stats program Is 21,000 miles much on an Ultra | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is 21,000 miles much on an Ultra

Adding the chrome is fun. We picked my bike up on a Wed, got my husband's on Thurs, and on Friday he went in to have a shoulder operation that turned into a rotator cuff repair and he came out to find out he couldn't ride for months. We spent the weekends in the storage building putting on bits of chrome. Until he could ride.

Joy

That's torture putting the chrome on and not being able to ride, just to stand there and look at it. Hope the shoulder turns out OK for your hubby.

Joy

That's torture putting the chrome on and not being able to ride, just to stand there and look at it. Hope the shoulder turns out OK for your hubby.
Yeah, it was torture. I would come down here in OH to work & then go back, and he would have a pile of parts that he would pick up at the local shop & we would go install anything he needed 2 hands to do. He would tell me to go on & ride but I felt too guilty to take off & leave him......so really, neither of us got to ride for the first 6 weeks. The shoulder is great now, he can hold the drill and work overhead again. Rotator repairs take forever to heal. Take care of them. Close to a year to get over it. Rides were short for the first year.

So if this works, it means I remembered how to do it......This was pretty much the first 6 weeks of my harley ownership. :cry

So if this works, it means I remembered how to do it......This was pretty much the first 6 weeks of my harley ownership. :cry

Close, here we go again....

Misc_Motorcycle_Pix_036.jpg

You might want to think about getting a new bike and slowly adding the chrome you want. A new Road Glide starts at about $18K. I chose Road Glide cause I own one and love it. I know I have spend countless hours going through catalogs looking at all of the additional parts I want and slowly adding them to my bike. I have so enjoyed that time. Just something to think about...

Well, if I get a new one, I was thinking either Ultra or Electra Glide Classic. There is about a $2,000 difference. I'd want Cruise and need to put it on the Classic ($240). So are the rest of the differences worth the extra money? I don't think I would use the CB. I could put soft lowers on the crash bar. Intercom? Don't know if I'd use it. What else is the extra cost going to give me?

Also, I want to be able to remove the tour pak when I'm not using it. Can you do that on the Ultra?

Ozone,
When I went looking I stuck with dealerships. What I found at the second one I visited was the bike I ride today. It's an '07 EG Classic that the dealership had used as a demo. It had a whopping 4,300 miles on it. Still has a year left on the warranty. Stage 1 Screamin' Eagle intake and exhaust. Lots of chrome. They wanted $18k. I finally bought it for $17k. Buying from that dealership had another advantage. When the bike hit 5k miles a couple of weeks later and was in need of servicing, the dealer loaned me a '08 Ultra to ride home. Home was 55 miles away. The 5k service cost me $250 and I have the receipt to keep and show a potential buyer if I ever decide to sell the bike someday. Having proof that all service was done on time and by a dealership can pay off especially if I ever need to actually use that warranty.

I will echo Glider and the others. Why buy a bike with a motor that is more than you will ever need in terms of power and may have a shorter lifespan than stock? I don't know how fast my Classic will go and I'll never find out. Accelerating to 70 mph when entering a highway with me and my wife aboard is not a problem. That bike will flat haul. My advice is to not fall for that "pretty face" you are looking at. Keep searching.

Storm

Guys, I hear what you are saying. I appreciate your sincere honest comments. You all have helped me get past the shine of the chrome. In fact currently I'm leaning toward a new ultra or EG Classic.

The 103 chromed out 2004 bike was sold yesterday anyway. I had decided not to buy it and the dealership sold it to the next guy that came along.

I've found another one at another dealership that is a 2006 Ultra with everything chromed and it has 14,500 miles ($17,200). But I'm still leaning toward the new one because I think I'd be better off with the 96 engine and the 6 speed. Larger gas tank too. Getting all that chrome now on the used bike is tempting but I understand that can come later. What I need to decide now is EG Classic or Ultra. If I get the Classic I could afford more add on things now like the chrome forks and gauge trims (that will need to wait on the Ultra). Do I need to pay $2000 more for the Ultra for the CB and intercom? Do I need the lower farings, could I get by with soft farings? Do I need the rear speakers? These are the questions I'm struggling with now. I will need to add cruise to the EG Classic but that is only $240.

Back