free website stats program Iron Butt? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Iron Butt?

Back in my younger days (1981) I did an Iron Butt on a 78 Sportster from Whidbey Island, Washington to SanDiego, California, with two friends, took right around 23 hours. My best advice these days would be make sure the bike is right, spare no expense on a really good seat, check out a pair of soft under garment bicycle shorts from your local bicycle shop, and most of all be prepaired for the weather. And last but not least, make sure the HOG member dues are up to date along with any warrenty needs just in case of break downs. In all my years of riding I have only used the HOG member service once, it was well worth the cost of the membership. Good luck.

By the way what side of Jacksonville, FL you on? I am on the westside near Chaffee and I-10:)

Lew...how are these rides verified...?

Gary,

There is a dedicated website to the Iron Butt guys and all the info you could ever need....

If you put all the normal stuff in front of ironbutt.com and then a slash and "about" and another slash and then "default.cfm" that should do it for you...

2394 miles, yahoo says it can take 34 hours...

So testing this theory.....to do 2394 miles in 34 hours you would have to go 70.5 miles an hour the entire 34 hours.....

Basically, 70.5 miles per hour X 34 hours comes to 2397 miles. That gives you 3 miles of leeway. If you try to qualify for the SaddleSore 2000 you need only 2000 miles in under 48 hours so that would equate to about a 42mph average.

OK....so its now shaping up to be the Lew/Gary ride and from what I can tell......Lew lives somewhere in Iowa and Gary lives in Kansas so you two will have to meet up in like St. Louis and ride from there to Jacksonville. From Jax its off to San Diego and then back to your respective homes?? Is that how this is going to work??

If thats the case heres how it breaks down:

St. Loius to Jax - 898 miles - 13 hours 48 minutes
Jax to SD - 2,337 mi – about 1 day 10 hours
SD to Frontenac, Kansas - 1,598 mi – about 23 hours 33 mins
Frontenac to (estimated) Des Moines IA - 314 mi – about 4 hours 56 mins

For a grand total of 5,147 mi – about 3 days 4 hours

Can anyone tell I am bored at work??

I Got My Membership In Old R.s.a.....one Mad Martin Rally, Two Buffalo, Nothing Less Then 1300 Mi

I've not done anything like that yet. That takes a little more commitment than my wife, three girls and job will allow right now. The girls are growing like weeds though!:D

I'M DOING OL THE MILAGE I CAN NOW...NEXT STEP THIS SUMMER FRM ROME TO PORTUGAL...MAXIMUM 5 STOPS (HOPING), AFTER THAT, NOTHING LONG FOR A WHILE....THIRD KID COMING ALONG .......

I'M DOING OL THE MILAGE I CAN NOW...NEXT STEP THIS SUMMER FRM ROME TO PORTUGAL...MAXIMUM 5 STOPS (HOPING), AFTER THAT, NOTHING LONG FOR A WHILE....THIRD KID COMING ALONG .......

Interesting, thats a nice ride..

planning in mid May to go from Alicante, Spain
over to Milan, Italy..

no toll highways :)
3 days, plan to get completely lost more than once :p

Back