free website stats program Intermittent Miss | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Intermittent Miss

This bike really has 115K on it with no routine PM (other than oil changes) every 15K or so?
Your 2007 doesn't have O2 sensors, or does it?

...and yes, it has two O2 sensors. I am going to pick up a new fuel filter for it tonight on my way home from work.

116k now. Not sure why you assume I haven't done any PM just because the fuel filter has never been replaced. I adjust the flutenary valves and re-pack the muffler bearings regularly. Even wash the bike once a year, whether it needs it or not.

Well at least you're taking care of some of the important stuff. Don't forget to fill the windshield washer bag.:bigsmiley8:

i am not as smart as a hole lot of the other guys, but when i read about 115 no filter thing , my guess would lean towards a filter and some injector treatment

116k now. Not sure why you assume I haven't done any PM just because the fuel filter has never been replaced. I adjust the flutenary valves and re-pack the muffler bearings regularly. Even wash the bike once a year, whether it needs it or not.

And with replies like this, when the tech guru Members are trying to gain proper info to assist in helping, they may choose not help any more..

Looked to me like he just has a sense of humor and as the OP has been very appreciative of the tech. suggestions I can't see anyone not wanting to help. JMO

And with replies like this, when the tech guru Members are trying to gain proper info to assist in helping, they may choose not help any more..

Sorry. I was trying to make a joke....except the part about washing it once a year. That part is true. Evidently you did not appreciate my attempt at humor. I will try to be more circumspect in the future.
For the record, I do appreciate the help here. I picked up a new fuel filter this evening, but probably will not be able to get it changed until the weekend. Also gave it a dose of Amsoil Quickshot when I filled tank.

No miss at all under hard acceleration. Only seems to do it with moderate throttle input or during cruise, and only occasionally at that.

During WOT the O2 sensors are not used and the fuel maps default to written in values (ECM runs open loop). Once you back off the throttle and hold steady state, the ECM relies on the O2 sensors for fuel mapping feedback. 115K is a bunch of mileage for a set of O2 sensors.
If you still have the problem after trying the other suggestions, you may want to check the O2 sensors. Also check for vacuum leaks using propane enrichment.

During WOT the O2 sensors are not used and the fuel maps default to written in values (ECM runs open loop). Once you back off the throttle and hold steady state, the ECM relies on the O2 sensors for fuel mapping feedback. 115K is a bunch of mileage for a set of O2 sensors.
If you still have the problem after trying the other suggestions, you may want to check the O2 sensors. Also check for vacuum leaks using propane enrichment.

Hoople I have said it before, you have a way of giving information that makes it easy to understand. Always like to read your post and I always learn something.

Hoople I have said it before, you have a way of giving information that makes it easy to understand. Always like to read your post and I always learn something.
I agree with that 100%. I too enjoy Hoople's knowledge.
tourbox

Thanks Hoople. Little update. I added some fuel system cleaner when I filled the bike Wednesday. I thought maybe that was the answer. It only stumbled once on the way to work Thursday morning and never missed at all on the trip home. However, this morning it ran so bad for a mile that I almost headed back home. As suddenly as it started misbehaving, it cleared up and the remaining 40 miles to work were trouble free. Still planning to try the things suggested Saturday evening after work. Thanks again everyone.

Back