free website stats program Intermittent engine shut-off problems 2000 FLHTCUI | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Intermittent engine shut-off problems 2000 FLHTCUI

I should of added this to the other Post:

The KEY switch (your style) was a problem back then on these bikes..

My problem was Mostly the bike would NOT restart right off and your does,,, re-reading your problem, it sounds different than mine...

I'd check out the key switch.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie: thanks for your reply. If you have a bad ignition (key) switch when the bike shuts down wouldn't you lose both power and ignition? And this is a critical distinction - In my situation the ignition "seems" to shut down but power remains to the lights, gauges, and the rest of the bike.

As far as I know, there is NO heat management on these older bikes. Thinking this came out in 05?

You're right. My bad. Was not paying attention to the year.

What about the ignition breaker? Has that been changed out?

TQ

TQuentin1: Thanks for your reply. I can guarantee you I am not receiving the dealership's senior technicians and their "best" effort - pretty sad when I am over $2K into some routine service and this issue as the primary reason for bringing the bike into their shop. They knocked out the very profitable service work quickly, and here we are..... a touring bike that is all "service ready" but not reliable enough to actually tour. In about 72 hours I will reclaim the bike, get a manual, obtain the requisite tools and start working on it myself.

Bubbie: thanks for your reply. If you have a bad ignition (key) switch when the bike shuts down wouldn't you lose both power and ignition? And this is a critical distinction - In my situation the ignition "seems" to shut down but power remains to the lights, gauges, and the rest of the bike.

IF yours is on the gas tank, Mine was not, then I think the switch on yours could be the problem... Just my thinking that the switch there is seprate of the Ignition to the coil.

I think i'm right but just check it out to see.

Where is Hoople??? He'll know the answer

signed....BUBBIE

IF yours is on the gas tank, Mine was not, then I think the switch on yours could be the problem... Just my thinking that the switch there is seprate of the Ignition to the coil.

I think i'm right but just check it out to see.

Where is Hoople??? He'll know the answer

signed....BUBBIE
Bubbie: my ignition / light switch is up on the fork as it is the fork lock switch as well. Per TQuentin1 - The ignition breaker has not been changed but is an obvious choice and is high on the list of items to be replaced. I am gathering all the information now and will begin component replacement & trouble shooting within the next 72 hours. Thanks for everyone's input on this, if I am ever able to get to the bottom of this I will post the solution.

Bubbie: my ignition / light switch is up on the fork as it is the fork lock switch as well. Per TQuentin1 - The ignition breaker has not been changed but is an obvious choice and is high on the list of items to be replaced. I am gathering all the information now and will begin component replacement & trouble shooting within the next 72 hours. Thanks for everyone's input on this, if I am ever able to get to the bottom of this I will post the solution.

You'll get it. Just chip away at it. But start with the easy/cheap stuff FIRST!! Check the battery cables and terminal connections first. That is the easiest and cheapest stuff. Then do the next thing until you have solved it.

TQ

I asked Hoople and I will post his answer to me from my PM to him.
Hoople, Re: What do you think Please ?

His response below;

The electrical system on a 2000 FL series has some things in it that you typically don't see. One is a relay called the "power relay" that is driven by the ignition switch. The power relay feeds two fuses called "instru" & "lights". The ignition switch could be bad "in a certain way" that could cause having lights but no ignition.

There is also a relay called the "fuel pump" relay. Calling it the fuel pump relay leads you to think it only drives the fuel pump but it also powers the ignition coil. A bad/pitted fuel pump relay could also do the same thing. On this bike there are many ways to have lights and no ignition. Especially being 12 years old. Fuse holders, relays, crimp connectors, quick disconnect plugs, switches etc etc all become suspect.

Hoople...

This above is WHY I suggested the switch.

Thanks Hoople....:D

signed....BUBBIE

I asked Hoople and I will post his answer to me from my PM to him.
Hoople, Re: What do you think Please ?

His response below;

The electrical system on a 2000 FL series has some things in it that you typically don't see. One is a relay called the "power relay" that is driven by the ignition switch. The power relay feeds two fuses called "instru" & "lights". The ignition switch could be bad "in a certain way" that could cause having lights but no ignition.

There is also a relay called the "fuel pump" relay. Calling it the fuel pump relay leads you to think it only drives the fuel pump but it also powers the ignition coil. A bad/pitted fuel pump relay could also do the same thing. On this bike there are many ways to have lights and no ignition. Especially being 12 years old. Fuse holders, relays, crimp connectors, quick disconnect plugs, switches etc etc all become suspect.

Hoople...

This above is WHY I suggested the switch.

Thanks Hoople....:D

signed....BUBBIE
Bubbie: Thanks to you and Hoople for your input and perspective on my problem with the 2000 FLHTCUI. I have purchased a new ignition switch, engine "shut-off" switch and cam shaft sensor and will begin the process of changing them out this weekend. After some test rides I'll let you know the results. If this does not correct the problem then next up on the list will be the power & fuel pump relays. Thx.

Back