free website stats program intermittant charging 2004 flht | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

intermittant charging 2004 flht

Check the bolt securing the regulator ground at the transmission exhaust bracket, to ensure it is snug.

yes. when problem first started bike gradually stopped charging or charged only at idle. I thought that the regulater could not handle the voltage from the stator when the rpms increased. the stator test o.k. its as if the power gets to the regulator and then only gets through when the regulater wants it to. I must say that the problem is not as severe now as it was on the old regulator. Maybe the ground improved when i installed the new regulator. It still is not right, and i don't want to be left on the side of the road. I havn't checked the odor of the primary fluid because it is raining now. but i will just as soon as i get a chance. could a bad ground somewhere else on the bike cause this issue.

yes . I doubled checked it. wondering if a bad ground somewhere else could affect it.

Last edited by a moderator:
In entry point #1 of this thread you said "voltage falls off" but you did not give specifics.

What is the voltage at Battery posts with engine off.
What is Voltage at battery posts during idle
What is voltage at battery posts at 2000 RPM
What is battery voltage at posts at 3000 RPM.

Use a meter range that will yield hundreds of 1 volt resolution. (XX dot 00)

have to wait till it stops raining. bike is covered but it's outside. I'll get back as soon as possible. Thanks for the help.

12.52 idle 13.70 @1000 14.2 at 2000 14.7 @ 3000 approx. but the system gauge on my fairing showed that it was charging also. It only seems do it when i am moving so i cant check it. any time my gauge shows a reduction in the chargeing rate my dvom reads the same. thats the problem, it isnt consistant. Checked the primary oil, smells o.k. hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
12.52 idle 13.70 @1000 14.2 at 2000 14.7 @ 3000 approx. but the system gauge on my fairing showed that it was charging also. It only seems do it when i am moving so i cant check it. any time my gauge shows a reduction in the chargeing rate my dvom reads the same. thats the problem, it isnt consistant. Checked the primary oil, smells o.k. hope that helps.

You did not tell me what the battery voltage was with the engine OFF, with ignition off..

With 13.70 volts at 1000 RPM and 12.52 volts at Idle,, what is your idle RPM. You gained almost 1.25 volts going from idle (unknown RPM) to 1000 RPM. Shouldn't your idle RPM be near 1000 RPM.

Do you have any real problems (battery goes low or dead after riding) other than what seems to be a problem (dash volt meter shows low above idle)

Entry point #10 says "checked battery holds a charge". How was that determined.

Some of these facts are not adding up.

You did not tell me what the battery voltage was with the engine OFF, with ignition off..

With 13.70 volts at 1000 RPM and 12.52 volts at Idle,, what is your idle RPM. You gained almost 1.25 volts going from idle (unknown RPM) to 1000 RPM. Shouldn't your idle RPM be near 1000 RPM.

Do you have any real problems (battery goes low or dead after riding) other than what seems to be a problem (dash volt meter shows low above idle)

Entry point #10 says "checked battery holds a charge". How was that determined.

Some of these facts are not adding up.

I would like to see a bit higher volts at idle:s

I would like to see a bit higher volts at idle:s

Jack, I agree. Something is not right. Problem is we don't know what his idle RPM is. How much lower can it be from 1000 RPM. I would like to know what factory idle RPM set point is.

Thing is, single phase just has no punch at low RPM. That's the entire reason for 3 phase.

Back