free website stats program intermittant charging 2004 flht | Harley Davidson Forums

intermittant charging 2004 flht

harleyreb

had a problem with charging system. stator tested good on bleed test a.c. output specs tested in tolerance. Put on new reg. now charges good most of the time, but still falls off when rpm,s are above idle, but not all the time. I am thinking a bad ground but i don't know for sure. HELP!! i don't have a lot of money to work with, or time to work on it.

had a problem with charging system. stator tested good on bleed test a.c. output specs tested in tolerance. Put on new reg. now charges good most of the time, but still falls off when rpm,s are above idle, but not all the time. I am thinking a bad ground but i don't know for sure. HELP!! i don't have a lot of money to work with, or time to work on it.

Test light, hook up alligator end to negative on battery. Every area you touch with the probe end of the test light will cause the light to light up if you have a ground. Make sure you start at the battery ground first and dont be afraid to wiggle the wires a bit to see if it causes the light to go out:D

when you say area, do you mean every positive wire or connection in the charging system or throughout the whole electrical system.

Harleyreb, there are several posts on the subject...the deal here is it is intermittant so the mere fact you are testing, creates artificial conditions that will make it tough to find. First thing is to check and clean all the large wire connections (both ends) to the battery, grounds and starter. Use dielectric grease after you have scraped the connections clean and shiny. Also take a whiff of the oil by pulling the chain inspection cover. A burnt smell rather than plain gear oil smell may be indicating stator condition may not be good.

Do you have an accurate DMM (Digital Multi-Meter)...Harbor Freight has a sale on them $1.99 and if you have 20% off coupon it is a real deal. Running, the bike should provide 13.5-14.5V charging voltage when you rev the bike a bit over idle (you have the headlight, EFI, ECM & Regulator drawing charge current AFTER your starter drew 250A reserve from the battery when you hit the 1-5 sec start button/cycle. Reading the meter while the idle is up a bit (use the throttle position star) while gently jiggling the connections (be careful not to wear metal and not short anything out, the motor is RUNNING) seat OFF may help.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/electrical/26544-replaced_regulator_but_still_not_charging.html

Last edited:
when you say area, do you mean every positive wire or connection in the charging system or throughout the whole electrical system.

Every metal on the bike, frame cases etc. anything metal on the bike if grounded should light the test light

test light dosn't work. checked it out using dvom every thing is in specs. all connections seem fine.It,s raining now so I cant pull the fairing and check ground wires, but I will tomorrow.

stator tested good on bleed test a.c. output specs tested in tolerance.

Bleed test is not for checking stator, It is for checking regulator.
How did you perform the stator ac output test and what were your readings.

Is a 2004 (3) phase or single phase. How may wires are coming out of stator,, 2 or 3..

Just curious. How old is your battery.

Back