free website stats program Installing Fairing Mount Oil Temperature Gauge | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing Fairing Mount Oil Temperature Gauge

This is definitely on my list of to-do's. Here's hoping the 2011 Accessories catalog will have the gauge with the Titanium face (PLEASE H-D!).

I moved the volt meter to where the air temp was and put the oil temp where the volt meter was. Now oil temp and pressure are on the same side.

I buddy did mine for me,for a 12 pack and I dont think that changing oil and upgradeing the speakers and installing the temp. guage took no more than a couple hours... I love having the oil temp. guage.. Can't belive I waited so long to have it done....Also the speaker up grade is great...:)

I agree very easy to install ( 2010 RoadGlide) but mine is not accurate at all. It's about 40 to 50 degrees off. I have power commander 5 and the temp read out was about 275 and the new temp gauge wasn't even close to 180.
I pulled the fairing back off to ensure everything is wired out correctly and not shorted against the frame. Everything looks fine and metered out fine.
I wanted to double check the new Temp gauage, so I tried 2 more test. One i stuck a long meat therometer down the oil fill hole. It was had the same read as the PCV. Next step is to remove the sensor.
I boiled up some water to 180 degrees used another meat therometer and drop the end of the sensor in the water. The gauge read around 140 and the meat therometer read 180.

I'm just wondering if anyone else had the same issue. I figured maybe a few degrees but not 40 plus.
Thanks for listening, man that was a mouth full.:newsmile030:

I did this on my bike and the hardest part was connecting all the small wire connections to the back of the gauge. I finally just pulled the gauge out the front of the fairing, connected the wires, and then put the gauge back into the fairing.

About the oil temp. guage reading the right temp ? I was also wondering that myself, the only thing I had to judge it by is I also have the oil temp dipstick, and they are both reading within about 5-10* of each other? they may both be wrong but they are about the same?....It seams to read about right to me.. My buddys 02 E.G. has the same set up and we both run about the same temp. under the same conditions...........Mine is an 04 E.G. stock T/C 88, and in Texas , runs between about 180* and 220* in traffic?

I would be able to live with a few degrees off but not over 40. Well I have a replacement that will hopefully be here Friday. I'll keep you posted.

Well I picked up the new Oil gauge and tested it out before installing the sending unit. Everything is work correctly. Completed the installation gauge is work so far. I have noticed the PC-V temperature is way different compared to the oil temperature gauge. I double checked the oil gauge with thermeter inserted into the oil fill hole. Everything is working as it should so far.

Back