free website stats program Installing Fairing Mount Oil Temperature Gauge | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing Fairing Mount Oil Temperature Gauge

Rocket J.

I received my HD fairing mounted oil temperature gauge kit (75265-04A) and am looking at what's required to install it myself. Naturally this link in the "self help" is a very good guide.

Batwing Fairing Removal - Harley Davidson Community

I've located the 7 fairing screws, I think. The left and right center screws are bright colored on mine but look black in the pictures. I also don't understand why those screws are called "center" screws when they are actually located lower than those labeled the left and right "bottom" screws. Anyway, I think I've got them located so I can remove the fairing.

To install the gauge you remove the pipe plug from the oil pan and replace it with the oil temp sending unit. This requires you to drain the oil so plan on an oil change to go along with this installation.

The instructions with the kit call for using a Packard crimping tool (HD-38125-B) and Harley thread sealant Loctite 565. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking my regular old wire stripper/crimper and blue loctite should work fine.

The kit instructions covers removing the air temperature gauge but I didn't see anything in the kit instructions about removing the probe or any wiring to the air temp probe (sender?) for the old air temp gauge. Do you just leave it in place and forget about it?

Any other tips for installing this Oil Temp gauge into my '05 Electra Glide Classic would be appreciated.

I can't offer help, but will be watching the replies as I am also going to do this at some point. Good luck.

When I changed the ambient air temp gauge for the oil temp gauge, I used the McEwan unit. Between this forum's links and the instructions with the gauge, it was fairly straight forward. I don't recall a "sending unit" for the air temp gauge, but that doesn't mean anything, because I can't rcall what I had for lunch yesterday. I know that I didn't use any thread sealant on the oil pan probe, and the hardest part for me was getting my stubby fingers inside the inner fairing to remove screws, etc.. It's a pretty busy environment. Once done, though, the gauge has worked very well. When reinstalling everything, keep an eye on connectors, as they can come loose as you're putting everything back together.....

Rocket; DON'T use blue locktite. Locktite 565 is a thread SEALER, like teflon pipe tape. Yes, your wire stripper/crimper should work fine. Like other posts, the hardest part is getting "man" hands into the tight space.
Most air temp probes are in the bottom part of the fairing, or triple clamp. Don't worry about it.

When installing the guage use the existing bracket on the air temp guage, not the new plastic one that comes with the oil temp guage.

yes leave the old air temp sensor + wiring wont hurt a thing.. i find it fun to work my bike ..youll do fine .

Thanks for the tips. I do have some teflon tape to seal the threads that screw into the oil pan. The support bracket in the kit is made of metal and looks to be heavy duty. This kit is supposedly the newest one from HD that routes the wiring harness up the right frame tube into the fairing and over to the left where the old air temp gauge was located. I plan to install it this coming Saturday or Sunday starting early in the AM while it's cool outside.

Anyone have an idea about what to do with that worthless air temp gauge? Being a pack rat I'll probably keep it in a drawer forever. That's got to be the most worthless thing I've seen on a bike.

I buddy did mine for me,for a 12 pack and I dont think that changing oil and upgradeing the speakers and installing the temp. guage took no more than a couple hours... I love having the oil temp. guage.. Can't belive I waited so long to have it done....Also the speaker up grade is great...:)

Back