free website stats program installing a Dobeck | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

installing a Dobeck

So if I'm reading this correctly,when you release the tank pressure by removing the gas tank lid & disconnect the quick disconnect the fuel we not come following out but have a rag to catch the dribble. Sorry for the dumb question I'm no wrench but I can bolt stuff on with the best of them:D

Depends on how much time has gone by since you ran the engine or had the system pressurized. Once you take the neg battery cable off the fuel pump is disabled. Give a few moments and you will only have minimal spray for a short second which can be easily contained in the rag wrap. I've seen mine if the bike sat over night there would be no spray much at all, just kinda of a spit. Mine seems to leak down the pressure the longer it sits.

Keep in mind removing the gas cap is only a minimal precaution. When you work on autos the manaul says to do this before you remove the gas line. Most of the real pressure is in the line from the fuel pump to the injectors. But again the length of time it sits after disconnecting power to the fuel pump will determine how much spray it shoots out. However even removing it IMMEDIATELY AFTER disconnecting power to the fuel pump, you will still ONLY have a short burst of spray. If you wrap the connection with a rag it's easily contained and short lived.

No need to run the bike dry like it says in the manual. I tried that once and my bike would not even start. I don't fool with that no more.

So if I'm reading this correctly,when you release the tank pressure by removing the gas tank lid & disconnect the quick disconnect the fuel we not come following out but have a rag to catch the dribble. Sorry for the dumb question I'm no wrench but I can bolt stuff on with the best of them:D

The fuel pressure is in the fuel rail and not in the tank itself. Removing the cap will do nothing. Pull the fuse for the pump and crank the engine, let it run till it stalls and then remove the quick connect.

Installing a quik-disconnect fitting on the cross-over line can save some of the aggravation. Adds a little more chrome to your ride too... if you you're into that :s

Back