free website stats program installing a Dobeck | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

installing a Dobeck

So something went horribly wrong and i'm not sure what went to disconnect everything. I THOUGHT I did everything correctly, but I obviously did NOT. So my step by step was this - I removed the seat. I unscrewed the screw at the bottom of the tank, unscrewed the bolts holding the front of the tank, removed the fuse for the fuel pump, started the bike until it stalled (this only last a few seconds). inserted the fuse again. When I disconnected the crossover gas came flying out of both the crossover tube and the tank stem. I tried following the steps in the manual with 5/16 in tubing but it just didn't fit - all the time while gas was gushing out of both ends. Help - I can't install the Dobeck without getting this tank off and I need to empty the tank. Now i'm afraid to start the bike because of the fact that gas was running all over the engine.

I would start by cleaning up the gas spillage before going any further. Don't pull or reinstall any more fuses or battery cables until the fumes have subsided.

After clean up go back and reread the evaluations page again and maybe gets some ideas there.

Dobeck Test Evaluations. - Harley Davidson Community

It is possible to leave the tank in place just propping it up enough to gain access to the injectors, etc. No need to remove the crossover tube unless you want to remove the tank totally. I choose to leave the tank in place and only propped it up and found that worked for me.

Good luck and be careful!

I would start by cleaning up the gas spillage before going any further. Don't pull or reinstall any more fuses or battery cables until the fumes have subsided.

After clean up go back and reread the evaluations page again and maybe gets some ideas there.

Dobeck Test Evaluations. - Harley Davidson Community

It is possible to leave the tank in place just propping it up enough to gain access to the injectors, etc. No need to remove the crossover tube unless you want to remove the tank totally. I choose to leave the tank in place and only propped it up and found that worked for me.

Good luck and be careful!

agree with TribleJ, there is a video by RWB on there that shows how to make a great funnel to empty your tank. i used a funnel with a hose attached and it worked ok but i had to hold mine in place where as the one RWB made would just sit by it's self.....good luck

So something went horribly wrong and i'm not sure what went to disconnect everything. I THOUGHT I did everything correctly, but I obviously did NOT. So my step by step was this - I removed the seat. I unscrewed the screw at the bottom of the tank, unscrewed the bolts holding the front of the tank, removed the fuse for the fuel pump, started the bike until it stalled (this only last a few seconds). inserted the fuse again. When I disconnected the crossover gas came flying out of both the crossover tube and the tank stem. I tried following the steps in the manual with 5/16 in tubing but it just didn't fit - all the time while gas was gushing out of both ends. . . . . ..

Glad you were not hurt, don't worry we all do such things from time to time. Here are some key things to remember.

First off whenever you are doing pretty much anything to the bike, disconnect the neg battery cable and put masking tape over the terminal. That way you are covered and don't have to fool with fuses. Don't reconnect (or put fuses back in) until you are done with the work and everything is put back together.

Second off depressurizing the system does not keep gas from gravity feeding out the crossover tube. Gas will ALWAYS flow out of the crossover unless the tank is empty. So if you disconnect the crossover tube you have to be prepared to deal with the gas flowing out.

Third off, I don't even bother with that running the engine bit, that is a waste of time. If you cut power to the system and open the gas tank cap this pretty much releases all the pressure. You do it the same way on autos. Any small remaining pressure can be handled by wrapping a small rag around the pressure disconnect (not the crossoever tube) when you release it.

No matter what method you use to deal with the crossover tube drain process ALWAYS have some thick towels spread over the top of the engine and oil filter area. NEVER EVER attempt to drain the crossover while the engine is hot.

So you are now ready to install your Doebeck and ride happily off into the cooler and more powerful running sunset.

Glad you were not hurt, don't worry we all do such things from time to time. Here are some key things to remember.

First off whenever you are doing pretty much anything to the bike, disconnect the neg battery cable and put masking tape over the terminal. That way you are covered and don't have to fool with fuses. Don't reconnect (or put fuses back in) until you are done with the work and everything is put back together.

Second off depressurizing the system does not keep gas from gravity feeding out the crossover tube. Gas will ALWAYS flow out of the crossover unless the tank is empty. So if you disconnect the crossover tube you have to be prepared to deal with the gas flowing out.

Third off, I don't even bother with that running the engine bit, that is a waste of time. If you cut power to the system and open the gas tank cap this pretty much releases all the pressure. You do it the same way on autos. Any small remaining pressure can be handled by wrapping a small rag around the pressure disconnect (not the crossoever tube) when you release it.

No matter what method you use to deal with the crossover tube drain process ALWAYS have some thick towels spread over the top of the engine and oil filter area. NEVER EVER attempt to drain the crossover while the engine is hot.

So you are now ready to install your Doebeck and ride happily off into the cooler and more powerful running sunset.
Step one when ever I am working on any vehicle, remove the power source, I do not like surprises especially when I am servicing a customers vehicle:s

OK guys...I finally managed to prop up the tank and get into the injectors. I guess a good learning experience for the first time. I hosed down the bike and got the gas off the engine, let it dry a bit then cranked her up. Sounds pretty darn nice. I promised Triple J that I would post pics so now that everything is done i'll get on that. Thank you everybody for all the insight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like my first time removing a tank with a cross over tube. I now use either hemostats or needle nose visegrips to close the hose off, and a piece of hose with a bolt stuffed in it to cap the tank fitting. First cover the cold engine with some nice towels (don't let the little lady know) then clamp the hose with the hemostat loosen the clamp ( I prefer the left side of the tank) wiggle the hose off and quickly push the hose with the bolt onto the tank fitting. Very little loss and no real unsafe mess...

So if I'm reading this correctly,when you release the tank pressure by removing the gas tank lid & disconnect the quick disconnect the fuel we not come following out but have a rag to catch the dribble. Sorry for the dumb question I'm no wrench but I can bolt stuff on with the best of them:D

So if I'm reading this correctly,when you release the tank pressure by removing the gas tank lid & disconnect the quick disconnect the fuel we not come following out but have a rag to catch the dribble. Sorry for the dumb question I'm no wrench but I can bolt stuff on with the best of them:D

Welcome to The Forum, Disconnect the battery first Harley Davidson Community look here next

Back