free website stats program Installed TFI...Wow!!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Installed TFI...Wow!!!!

Excuse me for my stupid question. Is TFI a brand name or just the type of equipment. I know you are talking about fuelers so I am not completely out of it. Thanks for the help! What brand is a good brand by the way?

I did also drop to about 33 mpg. I saw on here somewhere to turn the green pot back a little to improve mileage.

I dialed back the green since i could smell raw fuel at start up and then dialed the yellow down ..

Road out to my mom and dads then followed doug ..half way home when we stopped for fuel 44.5 .. i didnt really do a lot of hard accel so i might richen the green up just a tad and yellow a tad tad .. but it sure ran better than the other way it was set when i did crank it on today it was much faster getting to higher R's

I finally got to burn a full tank of fuel today and I ran 226 miles,before the TFI I was in the 235 mile range so I can't complain there ,but I don't understend why I am having to set mine higher to achieve a real nice running bike and quite a few of you have turned yours down because they were running too rich

So where are you suggesting we can go minimums for fuel economy but still get some kick?. Just installed mine but havent been able to ride. We have the Ness big sucker and some V&H slip ons. 08 FLHX

Here is what I'm trying out.. '09 RG, Ness Big Sucker I and adding V&H basic-slipons next week.

The instruction manual for aftermarket air/exhaust shows:
pot 1: 2:30
pot 2: 3:30
pot 3: 3:30
pot 4: 4:00

I'm going to run the bike with those TFI starting points for two tankfulls. See where I'm at. If the MPG is way to low for me, I'll adjust back pot 1 and 2 back 15 min and see what happens. Then keep adjusting until I get it where I see the MPG and feel the power is what I like. For pot 3 I may or may not turn it back any, I usually don't run over 4K (where it adds most of it's fuel), so not sure if that will impact me that much.

I'm thinking that with the TFI, you can't lean it out beyond the stock ratio, which is nice, but I bet you could richen it up way too much and possible wash down the cylinder walls. But just an assumption, someone with much more experience than me should prob respond.

Have fun and ride safe.

Keep in mind with the TFI that the upper portions of the stock map are richer than the lower portions so don't cut back too much on the green pot or you will be lean.

TFI will make a world of difference in your bike's performance. I'm running a pretty stock TC88 with stage 1 and the factory recommendations to start with are rich. You'll notice that the biggest impact to your MPG is the pot 1, because that's the RPM area we spend the most time in. So once you have her running good you can back pot 1 down (ever so slightly) and watch your MPG pick up. You'll find the point where you balance performance, heat and reasonable economy.

Note: When I'm putzing around the local area I have the bike running fat with pot 1 between 2:30 and 3:30. This gets me around 32-36 mpg combined city/highway, and the bike runs cool with the fatter setting. But if I'm going on a road trip I want better economy and range over bottom end hit, so I'll back pot 1 off to 1:30 or 2:00 and have good performance with 44-46 mpg.

Would you guys mind posting your pot settings? Don't forget to say what your riding. This might help others get started.

Back