free website stats program In a tight | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

In a tight

If the head of the screw is stripped out then drill the head off the screw once you have the derby cover off you shold be able to back out the threaded part by hand or with a plyers or grips
coat the replacement scews with copper grease prior to refitting and that should help for the next time

Brian

that's exactly what I did...worked just fine...i was nervous at first but piece of cake!

Got it all taken care of tonight, adjusted clutch, refilled primary, and put anti seize on the screws .Shifts much better now . Was a little clunky even with spectro 6 in the tranny.No more paper weight.LOL

I found the bolt were tight on my 09 when I went to adjust the clutch and drain primary oil. But they did come out, I learned a long time ago about using anti sieze on steel bolts that screw into alumnium. At least you did find out the hard way by stripping out the threads on the primary. Enjoy!

I keep a big ole bottle of anti seize in the shop at all times.I've spent a lot of time turning wrenches on Dirt late model cars ,and they are mostly aluminum and lighter stuff.So I know all about the importance of anti seize ,I just don't want to have to take 1/2 the bike apart just so it will come apart when I need to take it apart.LOL Thanks for the help guys

I keep a big ole bottle of anti seize in the shop at all times.I've spent a lot of time turning wrenches on Dirt late model cars ,and they are mostly aluminum and lighter stuff.So I know all about the importance of anti seize ,I just don't want to have to take 1/2 the bike apart just so it will come apart when I need to take it apart.LOL Thanks for the help guys

Just think of all the good quality time you your tools and bike will have together just taking it apart to ensure it'll come apart when you want it to if you are keeping the bike for a long time might save a lot of time money and aggravation in the long term :s

Brian

The easiest way to remove such screws or bolts are the proper tools.If I remeber well at sears you can find out a tool that removes all the torn screws and bolts.I used it most of the time in a same problems and worked ok.Good luck

Don't ya just hate those torx head screws? Who the heck invented them anyway?

Kent Moore for Gm, and guess who owns Kent Moore GM, they also make specialty tools, they used to make H D tools they were clumsy and spendy and most often had to be purchased from a dealer so they could and would mark them up:s

Back