free website stats program In a tight | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

In a tight

Had to drill it out,once the cover was off it was little more than finger tight.Outta light will finish tomorrow.

Surprised nobody's mentioned it yet but the clutch is supposed to be adjusted at room temperature. Engine and tranny fluid you drain after a warm up but not necessary for the primary.

Yeah Dr. that's true but fluid should be warm when drained.The clutch wouldn't have been adjusted until later.

Once you have it all finished you will have turned a large paperweight into a desirable motorcycle :s
Sometimes we know the answer but just need some help in remembering :)

Brian

I had the same issue you did. The impact screwdriver did the trick. Then make sure you clean the bolt holes out before you put the bolts back in.

Personal taste, but I prefer allen heads to torx, so when I take things apart, I replace them with allen bolts. You just have to make sure you replace them with the appropriate material and grade. The HD love of size 27 Torx is fine for initial assembly, but 27 isn't all that common in my experience.....

It looks like Harley has either changes vendors, or the specs on the primary cover. The derby screw inserts are not chromed over anymore. The screws and inserts are prone to water and corrosion, because they are outside of the rubber seal, not like when they used the rubber embossed derby cover gasket. My advise to anyone who has purchased a new bike. The day you get it home, you should remove the derby screws (one at a time will do), and apply anti-seize to the threads and reinstall, and use the low end of the torque specs. (84 in.lbs.)

Thorns

I'm thinking Thorns has the right idea...if I knew then what I know now LOL.Didn't get a chance to work on it today,had to do some PGR scouting for a 9-11 memorial event Saturday.Please remember 405 fire and LEO personnel lost lives in 107 minutes 9 years ago Saturday.

I had the same issue you did. The impact screwdriver did the trick. Then make sure you clean the bolt holes out before you put the bolts back in.

Personal taste, but I prefer allen heads to torx, so when I take things apart, I replace them with allen bolts. You just have to make sure you replace them with the appropriate material and grade. The HD love of size 27 Torx is fine for initial assembly, but 27 isn't all that common in my experience.....

Porter brought up a very good point, if you had problems with one, why not change them all out, generally with some good stainless ones. These do not have to be tight, just use antiseize or blue thread locker and tighten to lighter end of torque spec as there are plenty of fasteners, and the dry gasket will compress a bit. :D

Back