free website stats program I'm so dispointed | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm so dispointed

Hey, not all foreign stuff is bad...without the infusion of marketing and technology from Japan and other places we would not have the consumer video, cell phone or pc hardware or that Harley available right now. GS34 is right on, we probably could not afford a fully USA made machine, we even balk about paying 2-5% more on anything new, that we opt for previous year models. Remember, most all the technology and quality manufacturing techniques in use today, was developed in the USA, but it was the prospect of a short term profit oriented marketing stategy, rather than long term one that did the US (us) in.

It was competition that made MOCO stop resting on their laurels 70's, with the help of AMF funds and manufacturing QA techniques they were able to remake itself, build better products at affordable prices and learned to tackle vertical markets for broader consumer base. Problem is that they again got complacent, running up expenses and salaries, measuring their sucess on shareholder dividends and quarterly statements rather than long term strategy, does that sound familiar?

All companies are global these days...GET OVER IT, if you want to replace those Made in China parts, do so...but remember, those parts helped bring the price of your new bike into something REAL, instead of a piece of "UNOBTANIUM" sitting in the showroom or in some other rich guy's garage. Personally, I still feel pretty "rich" while in the garage prepping my ride for the weekend...now get out...Ride Long and Ride Often!

I was going to shut my big mouth on this thread,but the more I read of it the more I realize I can't. Everyone talks about short term profit gains in direct relation to corporate greed! Take a look at the obvious,if brand X is using overseas components to bring the price of their product down and still offer a comparable product can brand Y afford not to? NO! The only reason I am still in business is because I have put some offshore components on my products to keep the price down and offer a fair market product.The failure rate of these products is not any greater then those that I was purchasing that were made in North America.The biggest problem when they fail is that people see the stampings on them and feel they have been decieved. The game right now is survival,and hopefully in the near future we can all go back to North American components for our North American products JMHO!

I have changed 3 of those latches. The packaging said made in the USA and the part had china stamped on it. I must say i was a little disapointed. I try to buy American but it isn't easy.

imo the major player in the troubled north american economy is '' made in china '', from job loss to quality
i feel we as consumers are partly to blame because we demand the cheapest price, but for a company like hd it could spell trouble using overseas parts, i know i would rather pay more money for my bike knowing it was american made and i could depend on it, all of it then have to second guess very substandard, very poor quality overseas parts.

I'm gonna get some heat for this, but let's face it everybody, we live in a global economy these days.

Hey, I don't like gettin some yayhoo named "Steve" in India when I call a help line, or having the IRS send our tax returns there for processing - but they do it.

Know why? It's cause we all got to greedy here demanding high wages (me included!). Now, I'm laid off, but I'm ridin the best machine on the road and it's paid for!!!

And maybe it's a good thing HD has adopted some Japanese manufacturing processes - it's only made our machines better and more dependable.

Hey - we ain't livin in the 50s anymore!

Back