free website stats program I'm looking to buy my 1st HD '11 RK vs '07 RK CVO vs '07 RK | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm looking to buy my 1st HD '11 RK vs '07 RK CVO vs '07 RK

I'm looking to buy my first HD, I've had 80's Honda Sabre and Magna. I've ridden my sons '05 softail delux. I'm looking at a '11 Road King (a 103 & a 96), a '07 Road King CVO 110 and a '07 Road King 96. Mainly I'd like to know if the '11 is that huge of an upgrade from the '07 CVO. I know the '11 compared to the plain '07 is the new frame difference but I'd like to know the difference between the '11 and the '07 CVO.
I'm not sure if the new frame was changed in 2009 for the RK or not but it was for my bike. that alone would steer me away from the 07. I'd go with the 11' 103 on the condition that bike (and the Compensator) can be inspected.

Drop the CVO from the list; many issues with the 110" motor; mostly heat and poor seal between cylinder base and cases which causes oil seepage.

'07 was the year that the MoCo outsourced crank manufacture to an off shore supplier; not sure but I believe China or Taiwan. The MoCo also change the crank runout spec for warranty purposes that year from .003" to .012" which indicates that the MoCo anticipated some quality issues with the new vendor. Those have been sorted out but the incidence of crank failures in the '07 modle year was higher than any of the previous years. Not a pandemic issue but just saying '07 year was a crap shoot on cranks.

I would agree that an '09 or later model would be worth waiting but not sold on the improved handling from the frame modification. If the bike is pushed hard through long sweeper, say one marked 50mph and is ridden through at 80-85mph, you can still experience the bagger "wobble". Having said that, all the other upgrades on the later models are true upgrades. A lot of us that own earlier models have or are changing brakes over to the Brembo (wannabe) brakes; not true Brembo but a definite improvement over the earlier brakes. Good luck with your search.

09 or later will be the choice IMO many improvements including new frame, compensator and charging system

After hearing from you guys and a very nice dealer today I believe I'm looking for a '09 or newer now. The dealer is going to let me test drive a '05, '11, and '14 Road Kings so I can fell the ride differences and a '16 Street Glide so I can feel what a fairing feels like, I'd still get a RK but one day get a detachable fairing with a stereo in it. Thanks a lot!!!

Just remember that you can remove the shield on the King is a bonus. I have owned a Metric like a King and now a Electra Glide and there is highs and lows owning both. If its a radio you desire than the fairing is the way to go or combine the 2 with the King and fairing.... Be careful riding the 16 Street for you may be taking it home.:confused: Hopefully my next ride will be a Road Glide.

I am a bit apprehensive to ride the '14 & '16 as I'm not sure how I'd tell the wife that I just blew the budget out of the water, LOL

I am a bit apprehensive to ride the '14 & '16 as I'm not sure how I'd tell the wife that I just blew the budget out of the water, LOL
I think a motorcycle is consider a recreational vehicle and can be financed for 84 months on a new one....:eek:
Its easier to ask forgiveness than permission.....:D

After hearing from you guys and a very nice dealer today I believe I'm looking for a '09 or newer now. The dealer is going to let me test drive a '05, '11, and '14 Road Kings so I can fell the ride differences and a '16 Street Glide so I can feel what a fairing feels like, I'd still get a RK but one day get a detachable fairing with a stereo in it. Thanks a lot!!!
I have had a wide variety and styles of bikes from a metric cruiser, to Triumph Trophy 3 & T100, GoldWing and Street Glide. But by far I am most pleased with my current 14RK. I have a detachable fairing from Dead Center Cycles w/tunes (a bit pricey but worth it IMHO great quality and customer service) for my long hauls and cooler weather. Today is an example of why I like the versatility. Had the fairing on this weekend for a long ride took it off today put windshield on in 3 minutes literally. Don't need tunes around town and like the airflow in warmer around town commuting and riding. Heck you might even enjoy riding with no windshield... but that's not me any more, let the windshield eat these TX bugs. Good luck. As dbmg said careful of the 16SG if you go that route get the special. :)

I'm actually embarrassed to ride with no windshield now,because over 80 mph,my cheeks start flappin like a squirrel with a mouthful of nuts.

I'm actually embarrassed to ride with no windshield now,because over 80 mph,my cheeks start flappin like a squirrel with

a mouthful of nuts.

I feel your pain, a few years back I switched bikes with my brother Jack on our trip to Sturgis. No windshield on his street bob, cars behind me had to turn on their wipers to clean off the slobber. :eek:

Jack bought a new seat and windshield while we were out their.

Back