free website stats program Ignition Wire Overheating-2000 Heritage | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition Wire Overheating-2000 Heritage

Let me attempt to sum up this thread.

Ignition fuse is blowing (but not immediately).

The wire that is getting hot is the Red with Black stripe. From the diagrams given by Hoople this wire feeds the 3 fuses, the Lights, Instruments, Ignition and also feeds pin 30 of the starter relay.

With Run/Kill switch OFF, the wire still heats up.

All wiring appears to be OEM.

Unplugged the tip over sensor and the R/B wire still heats up.

Last post the OP says he did do step 1 of Entry #11 in which removing ignition fuse the wire still heats up.

This seems to say there is some confusion still as to the culprit (or culprits).

Freeride77 you say the ignition fuse is blowing, so that denotes a short or cross ciruit with the gray wire circuit.

But you also say the same wire (that feeds the ignition fuse) stops heating up with the Lights fuse is removed. Was the ignition fuse out also ?

If not put the ignition fuse back in, and leave the lights fuse out. Does the wire still heat up ?

Correction, on my last sentence in the post above where I said

->If not put the ignition fuse back in, and leave . . . . . . .

I meant to say,

If "so" then put the ignition fuse back in, and leave . . . . . . . .

Otherwise still same question(s) to the OP.

Let me attempt to sum up this thread.

Ignition fuse is blowing (but not immediately).

The wire that is getting hot is the Red with Black stripe. From the diagrams given by Hoople this wire feeds the 3 fuses, the Lights, Instruments, Ignition and also feeds pin 30 of the starter relay.

With Run/Kill switch OFF, the wire still heats up.

All wiring appears to be OEM.

Unplugged the tip over sensor and the R/B wire still heats up.

Last post the OP says he did do step 1 of Entry #11 in which removing ignition fuse the wire still heats up.

This seems to say there is some confusion still as to the culprit (or culprits).

Freeride77 you say the ignition fuse is blowing, so that denotes a short or cross ciruit with the gray wire circuit.

But you also say the same wire (that feeds the ignition fuse) stops heating up with the Lights fuse is removed. Was the ignition fuse out also ?

If not put the ignition fuse back in, and leave the lights fuse out. Does the wire still heat up ?

The ignition fuse was in and the lighting fuse was out when the ignition wire did not overheat.

You have some of the best on the forum working with you. While I'm not in their catagory, from your description of what is happening it seems you have a dead short in the lighting wiring. The power in this circuit is going to ground somewhere it is not supposed to.

You have some of the best on the forum working with you. While I'm not in their catagory, from your description of what is happening it seems you have a dead short in the lighting wiring. The power in this circuit is going to ground somewhere it is not supposed to.

I checked the following areas for shorts: light switch on handle bar, headlight,
running lights and front blinkers, tailight and rear blinkers. I also replaced the wiring harness to the headlights.

I appreciate everyone's input. Electrical problems are certainly not my strong point.

This may not be your problem but you have replaced the wiring harness to the headlight. Did that include the bulb socket. I ran an aftermarket bulb in my '94FLSTC and it shorted the socket, took me forever to find the problem. This has got to be something running to ground or two wire shorted together.

Sorry I could not get online till now as I was across town today.

Freeride77 you said you did do step 1 of Entry #11 in which removing ignition fuse the wire still heats up. This shows you have a problem somewhere else also.

But you said the ignition fuse was blowing, so that denotes a short or cross ciruit with the gray wire circuit also.

But you also say the same wire (that feeds the ignition fuse) stops heating up with the Lights fuse is removed.

The ignition fuse was in and the lighting fuse was out when the ignition wire did not overheat.

And now you confirm that the ignition fuse was IN but the wire was not heating up WHEN the lights fuse is out.

So before we go any further, the ignition fuse was in fact blowing before correct ?

And I surmise now it no longer blows ? Or you haven't run it enough for it to heat up and blow since you say it did not blow immediately ?

So maybe you got confused or maybe the ignition circuit issue is in remission or maybe you need to run it longer to show that issue up again.

In any case it appears the culprit (for now) is the lights circuit.

Does the light fuse blow ?

Is by chance your high beam on when this happens ? If so turn the high beam off, does the wire cool off ?

Do any of your lights flicker or burn dim ? (check each bulb and signals)

And check the sockets as Don suggested.

I may not get back online till tomorrow, my schedule is a bit crunched at current.

Sorry I could not get online till now as I was across town today.

Freeride77 you said you did do step 1 of Entry #11 in which removing ignition fuse the wire still heats up. This shows you have a problem somewhere else also.

But you said the ignition fuse was blowing, so that denotes a short or cross ciruit with the gray wire circuit also.

But you also say the same wire (that feeds the ignition fuse) stops heating up with the Lights fuse is removed.

And now you confirm that the ignition fuse was IN but the wire was not heating up WHEN the lights fuse is out.

So before we go any further, the ignition fuse was in fact blowing before correct ?

And I surmise now it no longer blows ? Or you haven't run it enough for it to heat up and blow since you say it did not blow immediately ?

So maybe you got confused or maybe the ignition circuit issue is in remission or maybe you need to run it longer to show that issue up again.

In any case it appears the culprit (for now) is the lights circuit.

Does the light fuse blow ?

Is by chance your high beam on when this happens ? If so turn the high beam off, does the wire cool off ?

Do any of your lights flicker or burn dim ? (check each bulb and signals)

And check the sockets as Don suggested.

I may not get back online till tomorrow, my schedule is a bit crunched at current.

I have been on a road trip all day and need to catch up at work today. I will work on the bike this week-end. I will check everything you suggested and get back with you. Thanks for your patience.

Back