free website stats program IDS Drive System | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

IDS Drive System

Mr. Data, Is the axle nut on an 06 bagger 36mm as well? I used a 1-3/8" socket and torque wrench when replacing a tire the other day. If you haven't already can you tell where to get a "push-pressure gauge" and how to adjust the belt tension on the 06 bagger frames?

Thanks for your great advise (this new bike with belt stuff) is definetly a learning curve!

Tim
06 FLHTCUI

Wife has a 2002 Heritage Softail. Had the 1550 kit put in. Been noisy from the beginning especially in 5th gear. Has 29k on bike. Would IDS system be a fit for her bike? thanks, I'm glad I found this site.

That's a NO GO on the softails. Only on 07 baggers. The later year baggers came from the factory with the unit.

Ordered and received the IDS kit (HD 40287-07) from Zanotti, with the bearing pressed in. Started project; allowed penetrating oil to work overnight and mufflers slipped off easy enough. Axel was a bit of a struggle. It was totally dry; seems there was no anti-seize or any lube used last time tire was replaced. With the axel half out, wheel skewed a bit, the caliper came off the disk fine; it was tight but managed. Pushed axel back in, secured all, bike off lift. To be continued tomorrow hopefully …

Has anyone who’s upgraded to the IDS found it necessary to further tap the sprocket bolt holes in the wheel hub when checked with the supplied gauge screw in the kit?
I’ll lube the axel with some loctite anti-seize, have some silver grade, debating whether to use a touch on the mufflers to header pipe, or not? Seems like the rest should be straight ahead, but any tips or tricks are welcomed.

I always use a bit of anti-seize on my mufflers, and they slip off easily. Let us know how the install went when you are done. I'd also like to know how you like it after some miles, but I guess I'll have to wait till spring.:)

IDS is standard equipment...on virtually all metric chain drive sportbikes usually integral with the rear wheel hub. This is to prevent rear wheel "snatch", that will tighten drive chain and stiffen suspension when shifting with heavy throttle.

IDS installed! A straight forward project; did apply a thin film of anti-seize on the mufflers joint and re-used existing torca clamps. All seems good! The brake caliper required some tight maneuvering; spread the pads with a 4 inch blade dry wall applicator, then just hand squeezed the pads away from the rotor. That gave enough wiggle room even though the pads were still over half new. Was fighting the rubber damper on the caliper when re-installing on the weldment; Applied some 50/50 isopropyl/water mix and that allowed it to just slide right on. The idea came from the IDS instructions to lube the isolators when installing into bowl. BTW, the thread lock on the OEM bolts was blue, the new bolts had yellow compound.

Managed a 1 hour ride today, it wasn’t bad at 1*C or about 34*F. The IDS works as claimed; it refines the drive train. It is quieter and smoother overall, especially at slow speed, parking lot stuff. This and the SE comp sprocket work well together for me on the ’07.

While there is still some ‘can of marbles’ noise, actually more like a card in the spokes of a bicycle, may even sound a bit like tappets, it is now subdued, refined. It was bothersome, to me, starting at 2500 RPM, regardless of gear. The noise would be subdued (gone) under load, accelerating particularly uphill, or after shifting. It had become my shift indicator at 2700 RPM! It is quieter now; has taken the edge off and can now cruise around 3000 RPM when desired without annoyance. I’m quite happy with the upgrade, especially at the Zanotti price point.

While I had hoped the ‘tappet’ noise would be gone, perhaps there is some actual tappet noise. But wouldn’t you always hear that, even at idle?

BTW, NewHD74Fan, even the ’97 Valkyrie, Goldwing flat 6 motor, shaft drive has an integrated IDS.

Thank you all for the info on HDTimeline that enabled me to do this project and save some considerable $.

Thanks for your finished results post. Also nice to know that you have the SE comp., which I plan to do.
I worked at a Yamaha shop long ago, and they used an IDS type drive on several models in the late 60's.

Back