free website stats program IDS Drive System Installation | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

IDS Drive System Installation

IF (I don't know) converting the 07 makes it the same as the factory 08 system, the factory used a special purpose pulley bearing for one year's production. It was built with the spacer included. I also don't remember for certain if the 07 has the 6 speed transmission. If you do, you probably have found the gearing a bit too high as have many others. There is a pulley (68 teeth I believe) which lowers the gearing slightly to match the 09 and newer gearing. It has improved (slightly) my fuel economy and 2 up starting from a stop. It will also make the speedo read a bit faster than your actual speed. If you are interested, the part numbers are:

9285 extended race 25mm bearing. for 08 models only!
40278-08 rubber isolators need 6 of these
40518-08 68t sprocket

This list does not include the "bowl" which mounts to the wheel which is the wheel side of the ISD assembly as the 08s came from the factory with that system included. The 09s and newer have a redesigned ISD so the parts are not interchangeable. The 08s and converted 07s are sort of "orphans" as far as ISD is concerned. The pulley was put on the export Sporties sent to Japan but fits perfectly with no change to the belt needed.

Help with 07 Isolated Drive System. I installed this yesterday on my 07 Road King. The stock system uses a Large spacer on the drive side and a small spacer on the rotor side of the axle. There is no room to add these spacers after installing the IDS. The instructions for the IDS only says to refer to the appropriate service manual to install the rear wheel assembly and to install the outer (thin) spacer when installing the wheel. So another words, your not suppose to install the original large spacer and the smaller original spacer but only use the (thin) spacer supplied with the IDS? Any help would be appreciated.

Is it possible you have the short spacer on the wrong side of the caliper? Caliper goes next to swingarm. I helped a friend put the IDS on his '07 E.G. , and it used both original spacers. Are your isolators fully bottomed in the hub?

Is it possible you have the short spacer on the wrong side of the caliper? Caliper goes next to swingarm. I helped a friend put the IDS on his '07 E.G. , and it used both original spacers. Are your isolators fully bottomed in the hub?
Good point Breeze. For it makes no sense that the IDS which is rubber spacers would cause assembly to become wider than original space. And if the instructions are stating to use thinner spacer, that is why I ask if this is a Harley kit or aftermarket. What happens when the spacers compress while riding, what takes up the space then????? And how would you get a true proper torque on rear axle.

I may be a wee bit off here as I don't really know but I thought the ids was on the rear pulley which in my mind would not affect the wheel bearings and the spacers relate to the wheel bearing
But with my lack of knowledge on the ids I could be wrong

Brian

You are correct Fin. I was asking if the rubber isolators were fully seated in the "bowl" so that the assembly would seat properly. Also, I once put the short (right side) spacer between the caliper and swingarm, instead of between the wheel and the caliper. I could not get everything squeezed between the swingarm. When I noticed my error, things went together as they should.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-content/service/isheets/-J04467.PDF

13 is the rubbers you can see where they fit here
HD11FLHP020.gif

Did my other message go through?

No way will the stock thicker larger external spacer fit on the sprocket side. I installed the thinner small external washer on the rotor side but the instructions for the Part #40287-07 on states to install the new outer thin spacer on the rotor side. Any additional help is appreciated.
Tom

Plus the IDS for the 07 has individual (6) rubber isolators instead of the setup shown on the above diagram sent in by Jack. That must be for 08 and later model tourers

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus the IDS for the 07 has individual (6) rubber isolators instead of the setup shown on the above diagram sent in by Jack. That must be for 08 and later model tourers
The guru's will chime in here also, but in '08 when the IDS was introduced, they were 6 individual pads. In '09 the MOCO webbed them together. It looks like the part # for the '08 sprocket is 40265-08 with the '09 part #40217-09. Not sure if this helps but......

Back