free website stats program Idle Mixture Screw? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Idle Mixture Screw?

Carb was not new when I put it on. Came from a Softail. The screw condition is not all my fault. However it is getting worse..... It did at one time move though. Patience was used today still no luck. New cams, has me wanting a little adjustment.

Carb was not new when I put it on. Came from a Softail. The screw condition is not all my fault. However it is getting worse..... It did at one time move though. Patience was used today still no luck. New cams, has me wanting a little adjustment.

You might be able to drill the screw out; it is brass. However, you could also damage the bowl beyond repair in the process. CV40mm carbs are cheap; go to Ebay, always carbs and parts for sale. The Keihin carb, particulalry the 40mm was used on many different motorcycles. If you look you should be able to find one that you can cannibalize for the bowl.

Harley Carburetor from A 1998 Dyna Low Rider | eBay

The Idle/Air screw is on the main body not the float bowl.
tourbox

Funny, I had that same thought and had to look at the picture to make sure I was thinking right.

It runs pretty good but I think it is a bit rich at idle. All and all not a bad thing. I'll take it apart again one day and mess with it again. Biggest problem is that its my primary transportation and cant afford to have it down too long. Brian keeps twisting my arm for that new Mikuni.....:s

Funny, I had that same thought and had to look at the picture to make sure I was thinking right.

It runs pretty good but I think it is a bit rich at idle. All and all not a bad thing. I'll take it apart again one day and mess with it again. Biggest problem is that its my primary transportation and cant afford to have it down too long. Brian keeps twisting my arm for that new Mikuni.....:s

LOL, The C V is a good carb, lots of parts available now, not so in the early days:D

Twist
The stock cv does not work well in the UK environment carb icing can be a real problem
Many years back Kawasaki uk approached silkolene and asked them to develop something to reduce the icing problem in their keihin carbs
So the uk issue has been going a long time turns an expensive motorcycle into a large paperweight and at times downright dangerous when the backfiring and stuttering happens on a summers day on a busy road

Brian

The Idle/Air screw is on the main body not the float bowl.tourbox

Right, good catch; I do have an occassional brain fart.:s However, main body or bowl, there are plenty of CV carbs that can be picked up cheap should the OP have trouble with that pesky idle/air screw. A 1/4 turn can make a bigger difference than one might think.

Looking at the one OFF my 2000 FXDS, the idle screw is an Internal one and hides behind a Plug....RIGHT Bodeen? Never even took it out on this carb.

I took my carb off to use a 42 mikuni. Now and Kept warm and dry In the mikuni box and saying on the box printed outside "Really good shape"...It was all new parts in and then took it off to put the 42 mikuni and a mikuni manifold on.

IF you think it would fit your 2003 (should be the same) I'd ship and give you a good deal on it. IF interested PM me and send me you shipping information... You can get it then install it THEN send me a check for 50$.. Plus shipping...

Good deal as the carb was all new parts needed and SORRY I took it off for the only difference I could tell about the mikuni to the stock carb was the adjustable Squirter mikuni has... Offer is for Bodeen only please...:D
New rubber to manifold sent also...

IF you think that is tooooo much Offer.

signed.... BUBBIE

Back