free website stats program I thought I had seen it all | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I thought I had seen it all

About the mix between HD and Vespa, I think the dealer made a good move.

HD is a very specific brand, totally different from any other bike in the world.
So is Vespa (apart from some Chinese clones...) and with good opportunities to set up attractive areas in the shop (I think Piaggio provides the necessary stuff and furniture to build a "Retro" style area).

Until one, as a dealer, keeps selling products with a distinctive mark and shows them in the proper way, IMO he does a good and respectable business and doesn't spoil the HD's "feeling" (and business, in the end...).

Selling Chinese cheap scooters instead (or even ordinary shining Japanese Bikes...) together with HD, is something out of style and probably would not help the HD business in that shop....

But, as said in posts before, times are hard and everything helps!

Ciao
Ugo

Millville HD sells scooters as well, which I have no problem with.

Where is it written that they are only allowed to sell Harley's? Times are tough, and if they can stay afloat by expanding their business model, then they are survivers....and those who can't or won't adapt to a changing business climate will NOT survive in these troubled economic times.

I for one want to see them make it, and if they have to add a product line, then by all means they ought to.

Now, as to free pizza, frankly, I'd rather see T-Shirts for less than 40 bucks and a discount off of list on new accessories for my bike. I'm not saying my dealer doesn't do that, all I'm saying is I care more about what I spend at the register than whether they give me a dollar slice of cold pizza.

Friendliness is a must of course, and I couldn't agree more with the importance of that issue, but they can put the pizza and/or coffee money towards my next service cost.

Just my .02 here!

I don't disagree with anything you said. It just felt odd, me all dressed in my leather's from a 1,000 mi trip in cold weather rubbing elbows with a little old lady checking out the Vespa's.
I whole heartedly agree with you on the money issue. That is where I have the biggest beef with all the HD dealers I have dealt with lately. Is just seem that they are out to squeeze every nickle and dime out of you regardless of what kind a relationship it creates with their customer.
As far as the coffee and pizza, to me it's not so much the actual thing but the sense of friendlyness it creates when I walk in to the dealership.

Bernhard

I have to agree with Richard. If they have to sell scooters to help them weather the storm, so be it. I'd rather have a good dealership "lower" their standard and remain a good dealership so I'll have a good dealership to go to over the next few years.

As far as coffee and pizza and all that, it doesn't really make any difference to me. Call me old school but if I'm going to a Harley dealership, I'm not going for coffee, pizza or whatever. Don't get me wrong, it's nice, but I don't expect it. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's like walking into a Walmart with no greeter...is that really why you shop there? JMO

You are very right it what you are saying. However, I have been trying to establish a relationship with a dealer here in my town (San Antonio, TX) where we have three in town and two more within 100 mi, where I feel like I am a known customer, not just a guy with a Harley they can fleece for all I am worth. I have to say I am not making too much progress on that, especially with the service departments.
Therefore, when I see a dealership making an effort to attract customers, I take notice, even though I have skipped the cold and greasy pizza so far every time.

Bernhard

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the dealer stocking Vespas in order to try and attract younger customers through the doors and hope that one day they may trade up to a HD? If they are, maybe thats not a bad move!

I quit going to the Dealer of IH35 because of that reason. After they sold me mine I was just another number for them. The service dept. at that dealership is pretty worthless. I have found the Dealer in Gruene does care about their customer relation..

You are very right it what you are saying. However, I have been trying to establish a relationship with a dealer here in my town (San Antonio, TX) where we have three in town and two more within 100 mi, where I feel like I am a known customer, not just a guy with a Harley they can fleece for all I am worth. I have to say I am not making too much progress on that, especially with the service departments.
Therefore, when I see a dealership making an effort to attract customers, I take notice, even though I have skipped the cold and greasy pizza so far every time.

Bernhard

One of my sons bought a new Vespa last summer. They are a very nice product well built and actually fun to ride. He has 2 BMW motorcycles and just recently starting talking about getting a Harley someday. (when he gets older he says). We have a nice Vespa dealership here so they will not be selling them at the Harley dealer, they appeal for the most part to a completely different consumer and if some dealers are trying to help cover over head.. I say go for it. Business is not good anywhere and we all have to find a way to get through this difficult time. If it has 2 wheels then we are should be glad they are not selling Chinese made 3 wheel cars....

I quit going to the Dealer of IH35 because of that reason. After they sold me mine I was just another number for them. The service dept. at that dealership is pretty worthless. I have found the Dealer in Gruene does care about their customer relation..

That's one I haven't worked with, just stopped in once or twice. Alamo HD on IH35 was really bad when my last bike was still new. Everytime I took it in for service, they "Found" several hundred dollars worth of stuff that needed fixing. When it got older and started having real problems, I had to take it back several times for the same problem.

Javelina was even worth. They gave me the bike back once with a leaking oil drain plug. If I had taken the bike out before I found that, it would have been ruined.

Now I am trying to work with Caliente, bought my Streetglide there. The dealer itself is okay, but the service department leaves things to be desired. I still give them the benefit of the doubt for a little while.

Bernhard

Back