free website stats program I own a problem child | Harley Davidson Forums

I own a problem child

larry billings

I have a 2009 ultra trike converted by Fat Bagger Inc. It started to drip oil recently. I did get it hot on a very hot day. When I gets warmed up the oil gauge drops to nothing at idle and when you take off again it builds back to a normal range. Just asking if any of you fellas have an idea where it is leaking from or if it is a common failing(I can't find the leak any good guesses as to where it's leaking)? It is not bad because the oil level has not dropped in the engine or trans(the trans was down a little and I am watching it) but I have not checked the primary in a while. Thanks guy's.

Larry

First you have to figure out which fluid is leaking. You can buy dyes to add to fluids to determine what hole it's coming from.
Leaks can sometime be a bugger to find so keep in mind leaks take the path of least resistance and will flow to the lowest point before it drips. I like running Red Line shockproof in my tranny, the pink color makes it easy to see if you have a leak.

I don't trust stock pressure gauges so you may want to check oil pressure with a hand held unit. JMHO.

Where is the leak hitting the floor? Left side, right side, or in the middle, front part or rear part?
Also how many miles on it? How many since conversion?
tourbox

Low oil pressure when hot, at idle is normal for Twin Cam engines. The trike is a very big machine, at least give us an idea where the leak is.

Thanks all for your welcome, in reply to your questions, itt has 17,000 miles and 13,000 since the conversion. The oil is hitting the floor in the center front(keeping in mind it's a trike), it doesn't seem to matter if it's hot or cold. It is hard to tell where it's coming from buy looking up at it, maybe I should take it to a reputable wrench and have it looked at? Thanks again.
Larry

Back