free website stats program I need an advice on which bike to get | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

I need an advice on which bike to get

WoW thanks for all the posts guys, i really appreciate all the support i am getting here :)

So over here they make you take a minimum of 30 classes before the license test so i am counting on that to build my confidence. Two of my close friemds are riders, they said we'll go out on empty back roads after ive done a few classes as well to help me..and most importantly, they said the first two or three rides we'll surround you on the road and create a protection zone until you are good to go on your own.

These same guys are telling me dont get a startup bike, go for what you want, get the bike you love and learn on it, the bike you would keep for long.
They keep telling me not to think of power and weight as tbis will be adapted to in a couple of rides, just respect the throtle.

Anyway i see a lot of great advice here as well and i will take all into consideration.

For those who asked, i am 30 and yes it will be my first time on a bike but i can ride bicycles very well hahaha

You have gotten a lot of really good advice here so I bet you are more confused than ever.
My 2 cents...unless you have physical limitations, don't go the trike route, your friends will leave you in the dust going through the twisties and you will miss out on alot of what riding is all about.
You are taking classes so you are getting the feel of a motorcycle, it will become comfortable especially if you take all 30.
Do the demo, ride as many models as you like you will find a comfortable match, I found that my preferences were gravitating to the bikes I sat in instead of on.
Good luck, keep us informed and post pics when you get your scoot.

Read through some, of the replies but not all. I was where you were 3 years ago, now I am still young, 30 at the time now 33. My father in law gave me the same advice you received, buy what you like and that is what I did. Have I messed up a few times...yes, but with no damage an no worries about resale or getting a new bike for a little while.

Another option, if you have a place that rents near you, look into that, they have beginner packages that allow you to rent by the hour and try many different types of bikes. You'll spend an extra $500 or so to test out a bunch of different bikes, find what you like for long and short hauls, try all kinds and not have to worry about some of the demo issues you can read about here.

By all means take the MSF class. But that alone will not be all you need. That is just giving you the tools to get out there and learn how to be a good rider.
Experience is the only way you are going to master the basic skills you will learn in that class.

I would say after taking the class you will get the better feel for what bike you should buy. If you feel fairly confident, don't buy a beater. Get the bike you know you want. However, if you feel intimated by the whole process and have any notion that you aren't ready, get an old used metric and practice more. But don't waste your time buying a sportster. You are too big for that bike and will only lose money when you sell it to get a big twin in a few months.

Shakey

I took the Riders Edge course after I had already purchased and had been riding my Street Bob for several months. After two days of training on the Buel Blast, I was able to do things on it that I have still not attempted on the much heavier Harley. I'm considering getting a lighter much more agile bike because I enjoyed playing on it so much. On the Street Bob, I push my limits much much more carefully.

I took the Riders Edge course after I had already purchased and had been riding my Street Bob for several months. After two days of training on the Buel Blast, I was able to do things on it that I have still not attempted on the much heavier Harley. I'm considering getting a lighter much more agile bike because I enjoyed playing on it so much. On the Street Bob, I push my limits much much more carefully.

You might want to try the advanced riders course where you use your own bike. I've heard very good things about it and hope to one day take it, just no time right now.

I have been riding since i was 7...all off road. My first real street bike was my dad's lowered Honda CB750 (Of course he never knew I was swiping it for rides while he was at work...shhh). Having ridden alot off road, and on road, I would really suggest getting a smaller bike to learn on. Your friends are right that you should get a bike you like, but i will tell you, there is a big difference in handling between most of the bikes out there. Learning the feel of hard braking on a twisty road at 35 mph is best felt on a smaller more manueverable bike. I love LOVE my softail, but I would of killed myself if it was my first ride. What ever you get, ride the rubber right off of it.

Back