free website stats program I need an advice on which bike to get | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I need an advice on which bike to get

This may be sacrilegious here on this site, but go buy a Honda Rebel and learn to ride. Take the rider's course. Make all your newbie mistakes on the Rebel. After a solid year or 6,000 miles, buy the most basic HD you can find. Adjust up to the heavier bike. After a year on that, buy whatever you really want.

Back in college, my first bike was a Kawasaki KZ400. First time out, I pushed it over to a very quiet street with no through traffic. Fired it up, gave it a little gas, popped the clutch, slid off the seat landing on my backside, and watched the bike wobble down the road and fall over! Would have been heart breaking on a $15K HD!! On my $1,500 Kawasaki, just a few expletives and go shut the thing off. Over the course of the next couple of years, I made some other boo boos. But it never really bothered me. It was my training bike.

TQ

Just like TQ i started on a wee bike 125 to be precise and over a few years progressed on to larger bikes And after 2 years of learning what i could and could not do and also learning how to slide and bounce i progressed on to a Honda 400 then i learnt that diesel on the road is slippery, then to be told that the model i had was so new there were no spares i only needed a gear leaver

Brian

I was in a similar situation last year, and at 6'3" while also being a beginner i had reservations. I bought a 2010 Softail Deluxe that I loved but after about 2K miles I traded it in for a new Road King Classic. On long rides with my wife the Deluxe was not cutting it for us, and the RKC makes ups for what I needed.

I'd have to agree with bseal 182 on this. I didn't get your age btw, just your height. My first bike was a 350 Honda Scrambler that I bought in 1971. I didn't even know how to ride it! My buddy rode it over to my house for me when I bought it. By the end of the week I had all of the fundamentals down but, it would take a lot of miles before I would garner the road experience that serves me well even until this day. Whatever you decide make sure you are totally comfortable on it, that you are really satisfied with it, and above all get the basics down pat.

The best advice I can give is Demo ride all the bikes you may be interested in at the dealer You will need a valid license first. Do not show a lot of interest to the salesman IMO right away when you find the right bike, let them wait on you and work for you to close the deal:s

Thank you all for the great advice.. A couple of my friends are telling me get the bike you absolutely love and dont get one for tbe first year or so to learn on...now if i go that route, ill get one of three..
1 - night rod special
2 - fat boy special
3- rocker c

I will take your advice and test drive a few before making up my mind once i have the license.

The trike idea came to me purely coz i love how the tri glide looks and im not comfortable riding a bike since im a biginner but classes will take care of that i guess...
All the three bikes i mentioned can be comfortable for someone my soze i suppose as they all have forward controls luckily haha

I sense your confidence needs a bit of a boost and your "friends" might not be offerring the best advise by suggesting you get the bike you want and forget about "starting out" on something smaller.

Subsequently, you've selected 3 different bikes that have completely different ergos and characteristics. Night Rod is low, slammed, narrow bars, forward controls, sounds different, powerful, throttle needs a lot of respect. Fat Boy has floor board instead of pegs. A bit more up right or standard seating position, wider handle bars, slower but stable steering control etc. The Rocker C is somewhere inbetween. Raked front end translated to different steering, power response similar to the Fat Boy while seating position more like the Night Rod, etc. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

Some later posts suggested going a different route and I agree. I've seen posts by folks just starting out and went straight to a Harley and never regretted it. But IMO, if you've never ridden a bike at all, I would look for something cheaper and a bit smaller in displacement. Gain some confidence in riding. Soak in some of the knowledge you experience on your first bike. Take your time. Seek out those demo rides and see if your riding impressions compliment what draws you to the bike.

If you drop your first bike, it's not a big deal. A lighter bike can help you build confidence quickly and can be more forgiving as your learn.

Most used "starter" bikes can be bought for and sold later for almost the same price. Get some good quality gear, enjoy the rider's course and hope to end up a HD rider one way or the other.

You need to walk befor you start running so start out on something small and then work your way up. Good luck and be safe.

If you have that kind of money buy what you want and get good insurance. My first bike ever was a Sporty never even rode a dirt bike. Some may say that's heavy first bike but in my opinion you can either ride or you can't. Just my opinion.
I learned by this method.
Teacher-Can you drive stick?
Me-Yes.
Teacher-Can you ride a bicycle?
Me-Yes.
Teacher-Let's go we'll start out on some back roads.
I was 19.
10 years on 2 wheels and I don't consider myself an expert and probably never will. I've dropped My last three bikes at least once. Since I have my first new one I'm much more carefull and hopefully I have the dropping out of my system. Even if I don't, the crash bars will help as they did on my old RK.:D

The best thing you could do is take the rider course first, and as others have said get a used bike and get insurance on it. My son got a used Sportster and I didn't expect it to ride as nice as it did so now I have one to, but within a month he tried to make a left going too fast and laid it down fortuinatly he didn't get hurt but the bike did thats where the insurance came in handy the bill was over 3500.00 to fix it. I'd recommend a used Sportster first and go to as many demo rides as possible then buy the bike that works for you.

Not an old hand at riding like some of the folks here but I agree with starting out smaller. I started with a 250 Kawasaki 4 years ago and have gone up in size every year, finally leading to the new to me 06 Deluxe.

You don't have to start that small. But do start used but not abused.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Back