free website stats program I can not relate to today's youth | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

I can not relate to today's youth

I agree that there are some good children and young adults out there doing good things, but it seems like they are the exception and not the rule.

The one good thing that I can say about today's youth...well at least mine, meaning my youngest son, is that he is right now serving this great country in Afgahnistan.If you were to ask him why he would respond that it is his duty as a young man to do his part for his country. I guess that like Smitty and some others I was blessed with a child who knows how to show respect.

I will bet your child "knows how to show respect" as a result of his observing you sir. I congratulate you and with all due respect wish your son a safe journey. Thank you

I hope to give you older guys and gals some hope.

Im 23 years old. I have served my country for 5 years, my brother for 7. I volunteer in my comunity. I work for 3$ an hour on an ambulance to help out the smaller comunities. I respect my elders. my mother has spanked me. I have had a full time job since I was 14 (other than when I was in school). my mom could not keep my brother and I in the house when we were kids. I dont have a face book account or my space( I call it my face). I hate texting.

oh and I love the open road on my harley.

hope this gives everyone some hope in todays youth. we are not all that bad:D

marcus

I have to agree with Hobbit, sometimes respect has to be taugh with the hands on approach! :bigsmiley18:

I'm 26 and even I agree with you ;)

However, I do think the problem is wider than just young people. There is a tendency for disrespect almost everywhere you look. People are so busy with their own life that it sometimes seems to me they lost the ability to relate to other people, let alone care about them or their safety.

I have no clue what to do about it but I think you handled the situation like a true gentleman. I fear however that any action to "educate" will have little effect until they realize that all the things the have now through the actions of those who worked for them in the past, can disappear in a heartbeat (accident, illness, crime, war, etc.).

In the meantime, I just keep smiling at those who do the right thing.

Take care,

Half the problem with the whole respect issue is that we have taken it overboard in our speech and writing while completely losing it in every other aspect.

You have to very "sensitive" in everything you say. You have to change what you call people every three months, because the new term that replaced the last politically incorrect term is now also not PC. People that are in the country illegally, and I could care less if that is from south of our border or from across an ocean, are somehow now "undocumented citizens." We just keep getting farther and farther from the truth so that meaningful conversation becomes impossible.

At the same time people have started to act like our government in face to face dealings. They posture and threaten to get their way, but no one actually wants a real confrontation. They take even the slightest provocation as a reason to use the courts as a weapon instead of finding a real solution. They are so caught up in their own ideology that they can not even understand why someone would think differently, much less actually look at the point from that other view just in case it might make some sense and challenge what they currently believe.

So we show token respect while doing everything we can to get our own way. Problems are no longer solved in a manner that tries to help the most people, instead they are solved so that "I" am helped most. "I" has gotten to be such a large concern that nothing else matters.

This country was great when it was "we." "We" worked as a country to win wars and protect rights. "We" built great things and expanded across the country. "We" may have done it too slowly, but "we" recognized the personal rights of people to vote, earn money, not be slaves or lesser citizens, and protect themselves. Somehow "we" have forgotten that what is best for the nation is also the best thing for each person in it in the long run.

"We" need to take back our nation from all the special interests, big money politics, multi-national corporations, and outside government influences. Then "we" need to relearn how to educate our children like a few parents on here have done, and "we" need to teach people that they can not keep getting a government check forever if they have the ability to work.

"We"....

oops, how did that get there. Ok, I am going to put away this soap box one more time. My wife is always complaining how I end up standing on it ever time I get on a roll. Just the way I am built I guess. Opinionated and willing to share it with everyone.

I have to agree the few dirtbags I see on our streets tends to cloud my view.

But I remember the draft. I was drafted in 69. I served 20+ years and saw the caliber of our men and women in uniform evolve. When I retired in 91 I could not have been more optimistic about our youngsters comming thru. Today I am even more proud of our forces. They serve with great pride and enthusiasm. These are some of the finest Americans ever.

I live in a area where there are several LIBERAL schools. For the most part the students I see are pretty solid citizens. There are exceptions!

I always have to laugh at the pants half off. How do they fight with one hand???? I can't figure that out!

Marcus, Thanks for all you do. If I sounded pessimistic, it is just due to my personal experiences over the years. I do know that not all youth are bad, and that is a good thing.

I think part of the problem lies whithin us as parents.
Many of us were raised by stern and at times abusive parents and when it came time for us to raise our own children we were too giving and forgiving ,not enough discipline.I started out that way with mine and when my oldest got in trouble I bailed him out.Only after the second time when against my wife's plea's to help him,I let him face it on his own did he smarten up.My 02cents on this subject.
Good for you! I have some of the same issues with my son, I hope things work out for both our sakes:s

Back