free website stats program Hubby's Surgery Underway | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hubby's Surgery Underway

Here's hoping for a successful surgery and a quick and total recovery. Hope you can get back to "normal" real soon Joy.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your support. It's funny how my 'Virtual' family helps me get through the tough times. So here is the report:

The doctor was very aggressive with the bone removal at this point, but he really thinks this will be a great improvement for Steve. Less pain, more range of motion and more stability. We got home about 4 or so, and it's been rough, he was in a lot of pain at the surgery center and that was with the pain block so tomorrow should be a hoot. He was able to eat this evening so he sat in the living room and watched TV for a couple of hours, but it took me nearly an hour to get him settled in the spare bedroom. He has the iPad, his phone the spare TV and his book but there seems to be just one more thing he needs.

I did take the conch horn in for him to blow if he needs anything else, I didn't have a bell. :)

I have the house all rearranged for crutches & scooter chairs. I moved the dining room table to the back room, but I forgot about the light, so I left a chair under it so we don't knock ourselves out, but it kind of looks like the Clint Eastwood chair.

I was really surprised at the pain level he had while in recovery, I really didn't expect him to be that distressed that early, but we will survive.

Brian, I will be the best nurse that I can, but I got sick while he was in recovery today and they were ready to put me in a bed. :small3d001: :shock:newsmile068::newsmile068:

I was quickly reminded why I did not make it through nursing school....the whole medical deal just never got any better for me. :(

But, I am much better, but I am glad the doc wants us to keep his splint on until his follow up visit. Phew, what a relief. :D

Thanks again for all your support!

Joy we are here for you and Steve. Hope they gave you something for your stress. What are the Docs saying about recovery/therapy?

For now, he can put it on the floor, 5-10 lbs of weight, they want him to dangle it until it throbs plus 10 seconds once an hour while he is awake and to move his toes as often as he can once the pain block wears off.

At this point that is as far as they went until after his post op visit. After Saturday, he can leave it on the floor as much as he likes though, then elevate as needed.

The doc actually told him not to baby it too much, give it floor time, be aggressive.

Steve has become a much better patient lately, so I think once the initial pain factor subsides, he won't have too much trouble simply because he has lived with so much pain over the last few years.

Wishing your hubby a speedy recovery and you being able to maintain your sanity. Hope ya'll have good Holidays!

Thanks Gator, we won't be dancing this year I'm afraid. :) But that's okay, we've never went dancing anyway. :rolling

So far, the ordeal has been harder on me than him....I got sick in recovery.....I haven't felt great today, and he seems to be doing fine other than the spasmodic pain that comes and goes as the pain block wears off. :D

But, that is a good thing for him, I can get up & run quicker. Oh the sacrifices I make. :s

Thanks Gator, we won't be dancing this year I'm afraid. :) But that's okay, we've never went dancing anyway. :rolling

So far, the ordeal has been harder on me than him....I got sick in recovery.....I haven't felt great today, and he seems to be doing fine other than the spasmodic pain that comes and goes as the pain block wears off. :D

But, that is a good thing for him, I can get up & run quicker. Oh the sacrifices I make. :s

Joy being a caregiver has got to be one of the hardest things I have ever done. Just try to remember that while this is ongoing it can seem all consuming, but as Steve heals the reward of having been a part of the recovery will be your reward. You are stronger than you think and all of us here are wishing you and Steve many years of pain free living. I have it on good authorty that the vibes from a Harley can shorten recovery time!!:D

Wishing you and Steve strength and courage for a speedy recovery, and a Happy Thanksgiving:s

Thanks guys. So far today, I have been quite queazy- him, fine. The pain block is starting to wear off however, so it may change soon! Maybe I should offer to take him a ride on his bike, that is his clutch foot that got cut. I think he would look cute back there. :lero

He can now move his toes and has the tingling feeling in his foot. I can't help but think that we have a very rough day as far as pain goes in the very near future, but on the other hand, I am okay expecting the worst and getting the best.

He has lived with such a tremendous amount of pain over the last few years with the fragmenting bone chips and such, that maybe this is just a continuation. He would literally be walking, or for that matter, just sitting and the bone would sort of fragment and send him to fits. If it happened while he was walking, he would either fall or nearly fall. Over the last 2 years, he has fallen and torn both rotator cuffs, and most recently nearly fell out of the barn loft. He didn't go thru the loft, but in catching himself, he dislocated 2 fingers. They went back into place well but it could have been much worse. I was at my parents that day, he was at the farm alone, and the cell phones only work on top of one ridge over a mile away. It was time to address the issue.

I am glad we are on our way to recovery and even more glad that the doctor feels pretty positive about the end results being very good.

Surgery has a painful recovery period that has to be tolerated. Just think into the future and all will be fine. Hopefully after the New Year, the new pain plus the old pain will all be gone. God speed.....

Back