free website stats program How old do kids need to be before riding? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How old do kids need to be before riding?

It depends on the child. All are individuals. An arbitrary age is not an indicator of the readiness of anyone to be on the bike.

It depends on the child. All are individuals. An arbitrary age is not an indicator of the readiness of anyone to be on the bike.

Boy you got that right!

I first rode a 4hp Mini Bike at 6 or 7 or 8 (can't really remember for sure). First motorcycle when I could kickstart it by myself.

I used to take my kids for short rides when they were old enough to hang onto the tank while sitting in front of me (they loved it by the way, and we NEVER had a problem).

All of my kids (three girls) rode different machines when we lived where they could do that, including Bikes and 4-Wheeler. Today, currently none of them ride except the youngest, who is waiting until she is 18 to take a Riders Safety Course and get her license. Each Child/Person is different and what is right for you may not be right for them.

In any case, always be safe and make your child wear a helmet until they are of age to decide for themselves (me? I always wear one when I ride, but as a child growing up riding in the backwoods I never did).

I started taking my son with me when his feet were able to touch the passenger pegs. I think he was around 5 at the time. When we would go on long rides he used to fall asleep on the back and we never had a problem. He's 20 now and looking for a bike for himself.

My youngest son first rode when he was 5, mainly around our neighborhood. He listened well and could reach the pegs. My oldest was 8 the first time he rode. Mostly around the neighborhood and then the back roads. I made sure they understood as much as possible about how when they shift their weight it can cause a motorcycle to do things you don't want it too.

When I got my last bike I made sure I was comfortable with it before I would let them ride. It didn't go ever well with them at first but all is well now.

Let the boy ride it is what he is supose to do at that age. My son was riding his first razor battery bike up and down the road at 4 years old. He's 5 now and rides with me on my roadking around the neighborhood twice a week, next year when he is 6 we will get him his first sporty.:s

By law its not really an age per say but when their feet can rest on the passenger footpegs is when children can legally ride and of course they must wear a proper riding helmet, at least that is the law in Kentucky. I am guilty of breaking said law since when my oldest was around 3-4 I would put him between my legs on my old intruder and ride him up and down the driveway(almost half a mile)

Started both my girls on dirt bikes at the age of 5, but both had been riding bicycles with no training wheels for close to a year before.
started riding them on my street bike around 7, belted to me for a year or so and kept them outfitted with the best ridding gear to be had.
Now they are both in college and have their own bikes ( both white FXDLR's) the oldest races Quads Semi-Pro and her sister and I do the wrenching & pit work.
The younger one has her eyes on a V-Rod Destroyer.

All depends on the kid my 5 year old son loves to cruse around the neighborhood with me but the older daughters refuse to get on.

Well for me its my grandchildren they started at 7 and 9...and they still trust grandpa...lol They are 10 and 12 now...my biggest problem is trying to keep my 12 yeard old grandson awake...I'm always afraid he will fall off when he goes to sleep ..hes skinny as a rail..lol and my 9 year old grandaughter also loves to ride...as wel as my daughter and shes 40..still a kid in my eyes of course...lol

My son started rideing with me at age 4 he would sit in front of me and put his feet on carb and exhaust of my dirt bike .to get to the lake on our fishing trips in the mountians .Ill post some picks when I can(the pics are on my desk top pc Im on my laptop right now ) .age 5 he could ride on the back of my bmw rt100 it had a luggage rack that act's as a back rest .Age 6 he rides on the back of the Harley with me short trips on the hiway anywere in town .
Cheers

Back