free website stats program How old do kids need to be before riding? | Harley Davidson Forums

How old do kids need to be before riding?

aimee750

Hi, I have two kids that are two young to go on the bike with me yet. But I am wondering what everyone thinks the appropriate age is for them to ride with a parent? I am thinking maybe 10, but I really don't know. What has your experience been?

I think it depends more on how mature and well behaved they are and can pay atention and not do silly things. I was like 8 when I first remembered riding with my dad on his bike.

The first time I rode a Harley i was 8 and at my Uncle's house. He had a really long driveway and he took me on the back of his bike slowly, up and down the drive about 3 times. Boy, did I think I was something that day. I think a lot depends on the child and their size and their willingness to ride and listen to safety instructions.

I think a parent should wait until the child is around ten because at that point they are probably going to listen to everything you say purely out of fear.

Nine or Ten is an appropriate age, it is easier to teach a child how important it is that they listen to your every command, they understand the danger more at that age.

I don't know but I see people with their little kids on with them. And it makes me worry a lot. I think when they are really young it is just a recipe for disaster. Why would people put the kids at such a risk. I just don't understand what they are thinking.

Classicgirl,
The problem is that they are not thinking when they do stupid stuff like that. When the child is ripped from their life due to their own stupidity only then do they learn.

I think a parent should wait until the child is around ten because at that point they are probably going to listen to everything you say purely out of fear.

I need you to come teach my kids! They laugh at my when I get on them. Not that they do not mind, but they sure do not fear me the way I feared my parents thats for sure.

I was thinking about this, iy is one thing to ride with a parent,but what do you think the age should be to ride on your own? My nearly 16 year old wants to ride at my aunt's farm all the time and we do not let him because we want him to take a safety course first.

Back