free website stats program How much consumption between oil changes?? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

How much consumption between oil changes??

Now I've read something I can sink my teeth into. If the tech told you about an O-ring leak and the bike is under warrenty, even if it's not, why didn't he repair it??? Find another service department.

HDDon, since it was a braided cable, it wasn't covered under warranty. They wanted $320 for the fix. Based on the questionable diagnosis for the oil consumption, I don't think I want them to touch my ride again.

HDDon, since it was a braided cable, it wasn't covered under warranty. They wanted $320 for the fix. Based on the questionable diagnosis for the oil consumption, I don't think I want them to touch my ride again.

With that kind of price I don't blame you one bit. Did you see my earlier post about the type of breakin the bike had?

With that kind of price I don't blame you one bit. Did you see my earlier post about the type of breakin the bike had?

Don, I bought it used approx 7K on the clock. I don't know how it was broken in. I will say it was/is in impeccable condition. Loaded w/ bling and showed pride of ownership.

Don, I bought it used approx 7K on the clock. I don't know how it was broken in. I will say it was/is in impeccable condition. Loaded w/ bling and showed pride of ownership.

Not to question you, but I seen guys that took really good care of the exterior and added lots of nice stuff. But when it came to maint. they were questionable. If your not sure you might want to do a leak down test just to eliminate that from the equation.

Is this a "one-time" occurence? I mean, is this the first time you noted that you had to add "less than a quart" after 2500 miles?

If yes...I'd top it off when the engine and oil is cool up to the full "cold" mark and keep riding, checking it again later. It well may be that nothing is wrong at all, particularly since you've discovered the film on the frame is from the clutch cable.

On the older HD engines, prior to when Mother Harley started using guide seals, "normal" oil consumption was 300-500 miles per quart. Now, in reality a fresh early engine should be more in the range of 1000 miles, but if most of the riding was around town with lots of upshifting and downshifting it darn sure could drop to 500 miles.

In modern times, the "acceptable" range for an engine running guide seals, with everything in good condition, is 1000 miles per quart. But again, in reality these modern engines will generally consume a whole lot LESS than that, often without any noted use between oil changes, depending upon your mileage between changes. However, it's dependent upon riding conditions. If you tend to ride hard, winding that sucker out...particularly if you're riding conditions require more than a bit of agressive downshifting and accelerating...and especially if you ride somewhere that has extreme hot ambient temps...it may indeed consume a bit more and there is nothing "wrong" with that. Any HD engine will generally consume more oil when it's used for predominantly short rides around town and whatnot, when compared to long distance open road riding.

Also, as mentioned...if you just recently switched over to a full synthetic...that can add to the equation when combined with agressive, hot riding conditions.

If the HD tech truly said anything about "valves seating" he's in need of more training because valves are "seated" when they are properly fit/installed. Valves do not "break in"...not in any manner that choice of oil impacts. But then again, perhaps something he said was lost in the translation. In any event, at 13,000 milles that dang engine is as "broke in" as it's gonna' get.

If you ride in a typical manner...and if the engine continues to consume more oil than normal...the first thing I'd check is to determine if the air filter is oil soaked from excess oil coming out of the breather passages...the actual filter element, not just looking for oil inside of the intake tract...it may well be that you're having a carryover problem and the oil trap/umbrella valve in the rockers is not operating to its full capacity. Also...run your finger up inside each exhaust pipe outlet and give it a good wipe...the buildup inside of the exhaust should be fully dry...a little teeny bit "sooty" is OK, as long as it's minimal and dry...but if your finger comes out with any oily residue...oil is being burned, most likely getting sucked past a guide seal.

Don't freak out yet....as I started this post out with...it may be a single "one-time" anomoly with nothing "wrong" at all.

Thanks HawgRider. I just recently noticed the low oil issue after I changed it 2500 miles ago. I topped it off and I'll definitely be monitoring it now.

Since we are in the cool months here in the desert, ambient temps are not hot at all. Summer is a different story. But this will be my first summer coming up with this bike. I tend to ride easy.

I am in concurrence that an engine at 13K is as broken in as it's going to get. Also, no sign of the air cleaner getting oil saturated (other than the K&N fluid to lubricate).

Just for the heck of it why not do a compression test on the cylinders. It may answer a few questions.

Not to question you, but I seen guys that took really good care of the exterior and added lots of nice stuff. But when it came to maint. they were questionable. If your not sure you might want to do a leak down test just to eliminate that from the equation.

I hear you. The oil when I changed it was golden and clear, so it gave me confidence the guy kept it in good running condition.

Great suggestion. The leak down test is going to be at the top of my list.

I appreciate the feedback from all of you. Thanks!

Back