free website stats program How much consumption between oil changes?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How much consumption between oil changes??

To me having to add "less than a quart" means you had to add "almost a quart" of oil in 2500 miles. That to me is a lot based on a system that is less than a gallon and a bike with 13K on the clock.. You need to correct the leak (residual on frame) and check the air cleaner and see if it's going down the intake before you can understand the situation. Don't blame the rings or the value guides before you make some checks and repairs for the leak or possible ingestion.

I agree, Hoople. Residue is determined by tech to be transmission oil originating from cable o-ring. I serviced my SE air cleaner and didn't notice oil in the throat.

Is this a "one-time" occurence? I mean, is this the first time you noted that you had to add "less than a quart" after 2500 miles?

If yes...I'd top it off when the engine and oil is cool up to the full "cold" mark and keep riding, checking it again later. It well may be that nothing is wrong at all, particularly since you've discovered the film on the frame is from the clutch cable.

On the older HD engines, prior to when Mother Harley started using guide seals, "normal" oil consumption was 300-500 miles per quart. Now, in reality a fresh early engine should be more in the range of 1000 miles, but if most of the riding was around town with lots of upshifting and downshifting it darn sure could drop to 500 miles.

In modern times, the "acceptable" range for an engine running guide seals, with everything in good condition, is 1000 miles per quart. But again, in reality these modern engines will generally consume a whole lot LESS than that, often without any noted use between oil changes, depending upon your mileage between changes. However, it's dependent upon riding conditions. If you tend to ride hard, winding that sucker out...particularly if you're riding conditions require more than a bit of agressive downshifting and accelerating...and especially if you ride somewhere that has extreme hot ambient temps...it may indeed consume a bit more and there is nothing "wrong" with that. Any HD engine will generally consume more oil when it's used for predominantly short rides around town and whatnot, when compared to long distance open road riding.

Also, as mentioned...if you just recently switched over to a full synthetic...that can add to the equation when combined with agressive, hot riding conditions.

If the HD tech truly said anything about "valves seating" he's in need of more training because valves are "seated" when they are properly fit/installed. Valves do not "break in"...not in any manner that choice of oil impacts. But then again, perhaps something he said was lost in the translation. In any event, at 13,000 milles that dang engine is as "broke in" as it's gonna' get.

If you ride in a typical manner...and if the engine continues to consume more oil than normal...the first thing I'd check is to determine if the air filter is oil soaked from excess oil coming out of the breather passages...the actual filter element, not just looking for oil inside of the intake tract...it may well be that you're having a carryover problem and the oil trap/umbrella valve in the rockers is not operating to its full capacity. Also...run your finger up inside each exhaust pipe outlet and give it a good wipe...the buildup inside of the exhaust should be fully dry...a little teeny bit "sooty" is OK, as long as it's minimal and dry...but if your finger comes out with any oily residue...oil is being burned, most likely getting sucked past a guide seal.

Don't freak out yet....as I started this post out with...it may be a single "one-time" anomoly with nothing "wrong" at all.

LOOSE that harley dealer,,, Their VIEW,,,,I think it is Wrong...... No way does the valves need to seat.... UNLESS your leaving out part of the story??? Straight from the tech

Did anybody do work on the engine since Last Oil change??? No

Has the bike USED oil BEFORE? and How Long HAVE you been using the M-1? No

If you Just changed out to synthetic oil and NOW have the First signs of USING oil.. Maybe else thing..(part of a Quart???)

How much LESS than a Quart? 3/4 qt.

Then It might be okay to switch back to WHAT YOU Used Before the M-1, IF that is the situation.But further investigation is Needed..I agree

If you have a little oil residue on the frame and you Kept your bike spotless, Running your hand toward the area of the residue under motor and see if you have a oil leak... I keep it spotless. Residue is transmission oil leaking from the o-ring on the clutch cable. Tech mentioned this

Now I've read something I can sink my teeth into. If the tech told you about an O-ring leak and the bike is under warrenty, even if it's not, why didn't he repair it??? Find another service department.

As SIR BUBBIE says...a LEAK is NOT normal. Use the VIN and check to see if work was done to the bike at this dealer or others in the area. To have the H-D dealer say "it is normal...is flat out wrong. " Time to go find a "Real" H-D Dealer who will treat you right or at least give you sound advice. You have to do some serious riding if your engine is in "proper" condition to lose that much oil between changes. Was it running properly years before without incident?

I agree on the dealer switch. I had a frustrating experience w/ this one. It was my first trip to one. Took an hour to release my bike when i went to pick it up. This after I gave them 5 hours advanced notice I was going to pick it up. Then my clutch cable adjustment was all jacked up, too. Nothing went right here.

I agree on the dealer switch. I had a frustrating experience w/ this one. It was my first trip to one. Took an hour to release my bike when i went to pick it up. This after I gave them 5 hours advanced notice I was going to pick it up. Then my clutch cable adjustment was all jacked up, too. Nothing went right here.

When you find a new service department, talk to them and let them know how you were treated before. Don't leave your bike if you don't feel like your bike and business are important to them.

Did 2005 Road Kings come from the factory with O2 sensors? (were they closed loop). With burning 3/4 of a quart every 2500 miles, I can't imagine any O2 sensors living through that for long.

Back