free website stats program How many miles in a day? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How many miles in a day?

I'm more of an "Hours" per day rider. Eight hours beating the slab to get somewhere whips me pretty good, but eight hours of back roads is good. I think the stop signs and traffic lights breaks things up.

First long trip I did I would earmark a place on the map that I wanted to stop for the night and I would reach that destination even is it meant14-16 hours of riding.That is just stupid.

Now I leave myself a few extra days on any trip and stop when I want to,no preset place,no mileage goal for the day.

It doesn't matter how far you ride in a day.
Only matters that you enjoyed the ride.

The most I did in a day when I had my Fatboy was around 450 miles. Stock seat and no highway pegs, however I did have a windshield.

I did about 700 on my Electra Glide in one day. It was really hot and sticky that day and it was a pretty tiring trip. I'm hoping to do around 700 in a day when I head out to Montana this summer. A lot of it will depend on weather conditions.

About 670 miles in a day to and from up the central valley early in the morning, to go to Laguna Seca to watch Sunday Race up the Pacific Coast Highway 1, watched the races and toured the paddock, then left back down via Pacific Coast Highway 1 back home (plenty of twisties, miandering thru a bit of fog which got tough, arrived home at dusk. Physically tired, but no monkey butt or such so a good long sortie... :D

A few years back I rode with a few pals up to Mammoth Cave, KY from Southern Alabama. 500 miles on a Sporty with no windshield. It took 11-12 hours cause we stopped every 100-120 miles. Very relaxed pace, great weather, and we had a blast! Found some awesome 'mom and pop' gas stations/grocery stores that provided lunch or a snack. Most of these places did not take credit cards! I didn't know these kind of places existed anymore. I think the distance you ride in a day depends on you. I, personally, think of a long ride as just several short ones. Its all about the adventure of the ride!

I have since sold the Sporty and recenty aquired a Heritage Softail and can't wait for this crazy weather to become normal for a few days so I can put some miles on her.

A day after my wedding my wife and I put on 1000 miles in 17 hours. This completed the saddle sore 1000 certificate for us. "Worlds toughest riders"! maybe? would I do it again? Probably not. Too dangerous in my opinion. we woke up at 3am and started riding in the dark at 80+ mph. stops were only for gas. all other tasks had to be completed at this time also. We ended the day in the dark too.

I can ride as long as my wife can. witch now is about 300-500 mpd.

its all what you want your goals to be. I know if I have a hotel already paid for I usually will get there.

First long trip I did I would earmark a place on the map that I wanted to stop for the night and I would reach that destination even is it meant14-16 hours of riding.That is just stupid.

Now I leave myself a few extra days on any trip and stop when I want to,no preset place,no mileage goal for the day.

It doesn't matter how far you ride in a day.
Only matters that you enjoyed the ride.

This is why I ride now. I can ride all day and not go anywhere but I always come home with a smile on my face!:s

700+ is a good day for me. I like to go aprox. 150 miles then get gas, a bottle of water, and take a 10 minute break. then I'm ready to go another 150.

Back in 1996, I rode 1060 miles in one day. I had been gone for 3 weeks, just riding wherever I felt like. One morning I woke up early and decided I was going home, so off I went. I rode from Kingman Az to Wichita Ks. I didn't quite make it home though. I was completely exhausted when I got to Wichita, so I checked into a hotel. I did that trip on a 1979 Honda GL1000 that I bought for $400. The most I've done on my Road King in one day was about 800 miles.

Back