free website stats program How long does a battery last | Harley Davidson Forums

How long does a battery last

trikerman

The battery on my 2000 Road king Classic is 7 years 9 months old, when bike is parked up in the garage it is plugged into a optimate that looks after the battery. On average how long does a battery last.

John.

The battery on my 2000 Road king Classic is 7 years 9 months old, when bike is parked up in the garage it is plugged into a optimate that looks after the battery. On average how long does a battery last.

John.

Seven years is almost unheard of here in Florida. Those tenders do wonders for making batteries last, However I think I'd replace it before it goes at a bad time.....

Seven + years and you got your monies worth for sure.:D

Usually 3-4 years and they start to act up and need replacement.

A sulfated battery can be rejuvenated by slow trickle charging that bubbles the electrolyte in the battery and causes motion within and will indeed remove sulfate buildup on the plates. In more extreme cases you can connect two batteries in parallel and that will accomplish the desulfation of the sulfated battery.

A battery tender (something like a chicken tender:D) will go into float mode and not peak a battery that is starting to sulfate. I needs to be a triclkle charger running at about 1 amp to get the best results.

Last edited:
I think I remember reading a post some time ago on another forum that average is 4-5 yrs. I believe the battery in my '02 is original which would make it 5 yrs. old.

In the spring when I go to pick the RK up at my indie's shop where it is being stored for the winter I'll have him check it out and if there is any doubts I'll have it changed.

When the battery finally gives up I will let you all know, it would be interesting to see how long it will last.

John.

Well" How long is a String? It depends on a number of factors. What type of battery has been purchased. In general AGM Battery, Gell Battery or the usual wet Battery.
Agm and Gell Batteries are of superior design without going in too much detail. AGM and Gell Batteries withstand vibrations better and are sealed doing away with the spills.
Trickle charge amperage is important. 1 to 1.5 Amps is pretty good for the Motorcycle Batteries.
It is also recommended to make sure if you are using a charger that it does not exceed the charge rate of 16.4 volts based on average temperatures. This is the charge rate usualy delivered by your bike when it charges your battery after having started the engine.
Any charge rate above that from a Charger Unit can reduce the Batteries life. If a Batterie has been left shelved for too long may also reduce it's life span to some degree. A Battery not used 3 to 4 month is ok and it is recommended to re charge it before leaving it too long.

An AGM or Gell Battery if looked after ok should last a few years. 4 to 5 years is not uncommon in Australia given the harsh hot temperatures. Riding left in OZZ is riding on the wild side" Hee!

Back